An Idea For 30 x 3 and 30 x 3-1/2...!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: An Idea For 30 x 3 and 30 x 3-1/2...!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Friday, July 27, 2018 - 11:41 am:

Who'd be in the market for white wall tires, the ones that are on that Couplelet in the post with the Subject Line 1962 Color Picture?

How many 30 x 3 and how many 30 x 3-1/2?

If we can get enough volume to be ordered at one time, perhaps one, or all, of the vendors can find out how feasible it is for the factory to make them.

Put me down for four (4) of each!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Friday, July 27, 2018 - 05:44 pm:

Me! Me!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Friday, July 27, 2018 - 06:06 pm:

I wonder what kind of volume would be necessary for a mfgr. to consider a limited custom run "by subscription" ? I also wonder if the price would be competitive or prohibitive. We model T drivers are a conservative (read cheap) lot, some of us are still running on 50 year old tires. I'd be in the market for a pair of each size when I've finally worn out my current set of "T drivers" - if the prrrrice is rrrright, laddie ! (Damn my Scots ancestry !! ; - )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Friday, July 27, 2018 - 06:13 pm:

I'm in for 4 of each! I have been nursing a set that must be at least 25 years old.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Friday, July 27, 2018 - 06:19 pm:

FWIW, this is an original 1920s tire, thin whitewall, "Mohawk Cord" is the brand. (Not a T size though).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Friday, July 27, 2018 - 06:29 pm:

I just e-mailed Ashley, Steven, and Don.

Ashley, Steven, and Don;

There’s a recent posting on the MTFCA forum about 30 x 3 and 30 x 3-1/2 whitewall tires; I’ve attached the two pictures on that post.

I put a subsequent post, asking anyone who may be in the market for these whitewall tires to see how many might be ordered.

We’re up to ten of each size so far. This style tire makes sense, I think. It gives the durability of black-on-the-road with the aesthetics of a whitewall.

Please check with your vendor to see how many of these tires would have to be ordered for the factory to be interested in making them.

Please keep us updated.

Thank you.

Bill Everett
Pickett Equip. Co.
8464 Summit Cove
Olive Branch, MS 38654

Ph: 662-890-9095
Fax: 662-890-3636
Cell: 901-496-8795

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Friday, July 27, 2018 - 06:42 pm:

This is the thread with the pictures referenced, for anyone who wants to save time searching:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/822076/883602.html?1532706179

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Friday, July 27, 2018 - 06:57 pm:

You may wish to specify double sided white walls. Antique tires have been produced both ways in the past. To get the look of a white tire with black tread, I recommend double sided white walls. We used to have a very old tire on our 1906 Moline (during restoration) that was white with red tread. How cool would that look?
You could also contact Stan Lucas & Corky Coker directly if you wish to skip the vendors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, July 27, 2018 - 07:13 pm:

I have been wanting to get a set of those white wall tires for some time now. I have seen an original tire with red sidewalls, and would love to paint (stain?) a set of whitewalls red.
If I could afford them, I would get a set or two, but I can't, so don't count me in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Friday, July 27, 2018 - 07:23 pm:

I have seen ancient all-red tires a time or two - I wonder if some of the old photos where the tires look gray, if they were really red ? I don't want to fragment the tire project, but if red tires were available I'd be really tempted. Though like Wayne, I'm a bit short in the Model T budget at the moment, so don't mind me . . . as the old saying goes, "Money talks, and . . ."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Friday, July 27, 2018 - 07:32 pm:

I second the idea of double-sided whitewalls. And, not to go too far off topic, they might be very popular in 33x4 tires. Many cars just a little bigger than a T used them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, July 27, 2018 - 09:38 pm:

It would be nice if we could bypass the usual suspects and have some longevity built into the product at the same time.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 10:19 am:

I wonder if Coker and Lucas would ever consider making NON oversize tires again? That would make our cars look more authentic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 12:40 pm:

While pre 1932 antique car hobbyists are the primary market for antique tires, the market is very limited and even more so, if they eliminate those that do not have 30” x 3” or 3.5” tires as well as those that do not want whitewalls. That is probably why all tire manufacturers simultaneously stopped production of whitewalls several years ago. With this in mind and the cost of tooling up, with little chance of breaking even, much less, make a profit, I don’t think there is much chance of convincing a tire manufacturer to go through the expense of tooling up and re-starting production of whitewalls. That is why I posted the recent thread on how to convert black walls to whitewalls. We are a resilient group and if something is not available that we need, we make do by making it ourselves. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 08:36 pm:

I would take four 3x30 and ten 3 1/2 x30

(Message edited by Tony_bowker on July 28, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 10:07 pm:

Tony. You must be young. I have had the same set of 21” Universal tires on my ‘26 coupe for 47 years (since 1971) and they still have a lot of tread left on them. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 11:45 am:

I have three Ts that need new rubber, 09 & 14 Touring and the 15 speedster. The latter two are 3 1/2 all round and the 09 uses 3” on the front. I keep hoping and waiting that white walls will suddenly become available, keep hoping :-). :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 11:51 am:

That explains it. Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Monday, July 30, 2018 - 05:05 pm:

Bill,

Ask Coker, Lucas, and Universal how many orders they would need?

My guess would be between 100 and 500 of each size.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Monday, July 30, 2018 - 07:26 pm:

Ted:

Having inquired myself with a different source I think you need to add at least one and possibly 2 zeroes to the quantity. White walls are a pain because black rubber leaves the mold with black residue and to keep it from screwing up the white part takes a lot of extra headache. When it was just having to clean up the entire mold for making all white T tires it was still a headache for the maker since the factory is making black rubber items just everyplace and white items really need to be in a different building in a different country. At least that is what I have been told. I was not inquiring with the usual people making our T tires. I was talking with a maker that I had a personal friendship with during high school and I wanted to understand exactly what it took to get into making tires like we wanted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, July 30, 2018 - 09:49 pm:

Coker Tire has a cool video that shows the wide white wall strip applied the black tire casing, with heat and then the tire is formed in the press.

Go to the 3:20 mark approx. to see the roll of white rubber being added to the casing or drum of the tire prior to it becoming a tire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IsSwmR8bck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gitts - Ferndale, WA on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 12:07 am:

This exact question came up a couple years ago asking about how many would be interested in white wall tires for 30 x 3 and 30 x 3 1/2. I don't recall who was going to contact Coker tire, but it and the topic died on the vine. I can't seem to find the old post though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 09:05 am:

We had an outfit here in Ohio years ago who could alter standard black wall automobile tires to create any width custom white wall, or they could fully remove a factory whitewall to create custom black walls. They created custom pin stripe red walls also, back when those sport tires were tough to get. Curious whether the same technology can be applied to smaller gauge hobby tires today?
Regards,
Scott

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration