Mirror resilvering

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Mirror resilvering
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, July 27, 2018 - 02:50 pm:

I have a pair of really nice headlight mirrors, but they need resilvering. Looking online I see there are kits available for this process. Has anyone done it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, July 27, 2018 - 03:14 pm:

My related question is how the new "vacuum metalized aluminum" reflectors compare with resilvered originals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By W. Austen on Friday, July 27, 2018 - 04:07 pm:

The problem is not resilvering them, but getting the glass polished enough. Just removing the old silver and paint most likely will not give you a good finish for the silver. Any place on the glass that has a scratch or no silver left will show up magnified. I have done several with varying results. Also another problem is they are curved surfaces, not flat mirrors like the kits show. I have had some done by a professional mirror company which made my own work look great. Its not hard and is cheaper than having it done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Friday, July 27, 2018 - 06:16 pm:

I can't speak for glass mirrors, but the headlight reflectors that have been done with the Vacuum Metalized Aluminum process are reputed to reflect only about 5% less light than standard silvered reflectors. I've had a couple sets done by Bill Attwood at UVIRA out in Oregon and love them. No tarnishing and cleaning is just as simple as wiping them down with a soft, damp cloth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, July 27, 2018 - 07:08 pm:

The original mirrors seem to be copper plated to the silvering. I had a nice chat with my plater and we think we have a plan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By W. Austen on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 09:01 am:

The Copper was added to protect the thin soft silver.Some of the kits come with this included. The Silver and Copper can easely be stripped with Acid,I use Lysol toilet bowl cleaner, or if it is tough stuff, Muriatic pool acid. These don't hurt the glass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 10:05 am:

I can easily get my late reflectors re-silvered, but I haven't found anyone in the Los Angeles area who does glass reflectors. Why not? I tried recently to get an early rear view mirror re-silvered, with no luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 03:31 pm:

I will probably try to do this in the winter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt the Headlight Lens Guy n California on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 10:33 pm:

Steve,
My dad recently purchased a model A. When he opened up the head light he found someone had used tin foil pressed/formed against the reflector. It actually worked better than expected.

Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart clipson on Monday, July 30, 2018 - 09:06 am:

i have used a kit from AngleGuilding.com with satisfactory results. cleanliness and patience is a key ingredient.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, July 30, 2018 - 10:34 am:

Stuart
I was considering their kit. Thank you for the information

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Monday, July 30, 2018 - 01:32 pm:

I believe that someone posted a link to a place in St.Louis ,Mo that resolvers mirrors, including reflectors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Monday, July 30, 2018 - 01:33 pm:

I believe that someone posted a link to a place in St.Louis ,Mo that re-silvers mirrors, including reflectors.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration