Old Photographs- if you like 'em, here's a site for you!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Old Photographs- if you like 'em, here's a site for you!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Friday, July 27, 2018 - 03:25 pm:

Mr. Leslie Jones worked as a photographer for The Boston Herald Traveller from 1917-1956. A categorized collection of his photographs can be found here:

http://www.lesliejonesphotography.com/

Car wrecks, train wrecks, plane crashes, crime scenes- "If it bleeds it leads!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Friday, July 27, 2018 - 04:03 pm:

That's a reeeeeaaalllly early Ford trimotor in the last pic and must be just about brand new. I've never seen a picture of one with prop spinners on it before, they must have been the first thing to get tossed in service.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Friday, July 27, 2018 - 07:40 pm:

Tim, this one didnt have them!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Conwill on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 11:53 am:

I wonder how many of the balled-up cars had an encounter with a street car. A '20s trolley weighs about the same as a modern semi-truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 10:38 pm:

I doubt if Trimotors were delivered with spinners, which operators later removed. I think those are just different engines on a very early plane. some web surfing only produced one other picture of a Trimotor with that engine/exhaust configuration.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Lyon, PDX, OR. on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 01:50 am:

Is the last picture of a rescue drill or something similar? The back of the plane is propped up with a couple of boards. Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 02:12 am:

If you look at the wheels & front prop, they're in soft sand. Looks like an emergency landing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 08:02 am:

I think it is in shallow water in a swampy area and the water is of full of watercress seeds and algae, making it appear somewhat solid.

The board propping up the rear is probably keeping the tail from coming down in a wind and causing further damage. You can also see a ladder is leading up to the passenger compartment door, although I'll bet if there were any passengers on this flight, they probably followed the pilots out the hatch above the cockpit, slid down the nose, and then burned their shoes and hands on the engine!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Weaver - Arthurdale, WV on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 09:25 am:

Man,that poor C-cab being dropped in for recycling. Wish that was sitting at my house. Neat pictures. - Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 04:47 pm:

Here's a bit of the history on the Tri-Motor- NC429H.
Apparently it was originally bought by a Mr. Timken (yes, THAT Timken...) for his teenage son as a birthday present. Unfortunately, junior quickly got bored with it and he sold it to Shell Oil, who in turn sold it to the Colombian Army, then it crashed and burned in the jungle, then it was salvaged.... etc., etc.

https://grandcentralairterminal.org/airplanes/NC429H/

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration