Peddlers Box #2

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Peddlers Box #2
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Haywood on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 01:36 pm:

My first peddlers box I made ended up being too short in my opinion. I just rebuilt it 9Ē taller and added a new drawer underneath the back swing out doors. Just shot it this morning with black primer. Now Iím not sure what the final color will be. Keep it black, go midnight blue, or 39 Packard deep maroon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 02:13 pm:

Like! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 02:46 pm:

Deep Maroon.

Just my first thought.

They both look really nice!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Haywood on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 03:21 pm:

Found this new Picture last week and gave me the inspiration to change it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Haywood on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 03:34 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 05:05 pm:

Very nice ... what will you be peddling? Email me if you want my research in selling patent medicine from the back of a model T. Mosterman@eastman.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 05:35 pm:

Wish I lived closer, I would love to have the shorter one. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 12:55 pm:

If you want to outfit your peddlers box with products with labeling that appear to be from the era, and don't want to spend years and cubic money acquiring them, Google "Watkins Products".

The company was very popular in the 20's and is still in business today. Best of all, most of their packaging and labeling has not changed, and would look very authentic in your peddlers box. Mainly because Watkins distributors in the 20's used the same type of rig you have.

Check out their website. At the least, I think you'll get a kick out of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Haywood on Sunday, August 05, 2018 - 08:31 pm:

Been too hot and humid to do a good job painting the new box.
Decided to just paint it a satin black for now. Finish came out uneven. Installed it today anyway Iíll repaint it this winter. Iíll reinstall the hardware and roll her out side for some better pics tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Haywood on Sunday, August 05, 2018 - 08:50 pm:

Thinking of something like this on the side panels

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Haywood on Tuesday, August 21, 2018 - 06:31 pm:

Still haven't done the final painting and need to install some skeleton key locks on the doors and drawer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, August 21, 2018 - 06:51 pm:

Neil, very nice work. Love the detail like dove tail on draws and inset panels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, August 21, 2018 - 08:45 pm:

Neil,

Great looking peddlers box.

Depending on why you want the Ford logo on the side of the box you have many options.

I do not recall ever seeing an early Ford Sign that looks like the ones being offered on aluminum today. (See offering at Amazon at: https://www.amazon.com/HangTime-Company-Service-Genuine-Circle/dp/B06XMYLPF6/ref =asc_df_B06XMYLPF6/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=266781768695&hvpos=1o2&hvn etw=g&hvrand=2931545413560851134&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvloci nt=&hvlocphy=9010387&hvtargid=pla-448411204257&psc=1 The style of the lettering appears to be a copy of what was used on the decals applied to the early 1903-ish Model As. But the price if very reasonable.

I have not seen that style of lettering used with a Sales and Service etc. sign. If someone else has -- please let us know.

You might want to consider going with the "Winged Pyramid" sign introduced by Ford USA during 1912 and used during most of the Model T production. It is also available in reproduction see: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/162418.html?1287112631

Again great looking T !

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Haywood on Wednesday, October 31, 2018 - 06:10 pm:

New sign idea

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Haywood on Wednesday, October 31, 2018 - 06:18 pm:

Probably going with grey lettering on a tan back ground

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Thursday, November 01, 2018 - 04:39 pm:

Why not actually use vintage lettering. Lots of pictures of commercial wagons and trucks from the era on line.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, November 01, 2018 - 05:38 pm:

Neil, to be period correct, whatever design you settle on needs to be hand painted. Those with the skills to do that work will be able to advise you on styles, colours etc.
A photo print like all the modern stuff will look OK, but it will show for what it is.

There can be no real substitute for period workmanship and methods. The dovetailing on your drawer is particularly neat and the inset dividers look great. But, a period correct method of construction would have that dovetailing being done , with a stop to the front, directly on the front panel. The addition of a separate front panel is a current construction method to add decorative timber to the melamine white boxes used in cabinetry today.

The trouble is finding craftspeople today who are capable and interested enough to do the work as it was done. And we have to give them the time and recompense for their efforts. The illustrations and lettering on my chocolate van took the painter 3 weeks, mainly because it was done in enamels, and each colour had to be allowed to dry before subsequent colours were added.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Thursday, November 01, 2018 - 05:51 pm:

Neil
Ask around as there is a club of original sign painters, which is who you want to use. No computer vinyl...you want the real deal. If you were in Detroit I could hook you up with a cool sign guy with a lot of pride.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Haywood on Thursday, November 01, 2018 - 07:19 pm:

The printed sign was just to get an idea. Will definitely be hand painted on Tin with a different font

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, November 01, 2018 - 09:03 pm:

Way to go Neil!

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, November 02, 2018 - 07:45 am:

For what it's worth, I would suggest hand painting directly on the box. I would bet that was a lot more common in the day than painting a sign and attaching it to the box. Just speculation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Haywood on Friday, November 02, 2018 - 09:06 pm:

Still need to sand and paint the whole box. I just rattle canned it last August it was too hot and humid to paint properly. If I do the sign on tin I can change it up once in a while. Going to drawer up another box with side doors that start lower for a lower shelf in front of the drawer. Good spot for a jack and battery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Haywood on Friday, November 02, 2018 - 09:22 pm:

I should check my spelling before I post. Or a least put on my glasses.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brendan Doughty Central wisconsin on Thursday, November 08, 2018 - 07:21 am:

A Coupe version.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, November 08, 2018 - 12:03 pm:

Brendan, It's very nice! And being a Coupe body, it's very appropriate for Wisconsin Winters!

Keith

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration