Welding them up??

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Welding them up??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 01:37 pm:

What would you do?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 01:52 pm:

Tap them, thread in a plug with green Loctite, and file to
Match the pipe contour.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 01:54 pm:

I am sure you will get better advice from someone else on the Forum but I had a rear housing like that and I ran a pipe tap through the hole, inserted a threaded plug, ground the plug flush and skimmed it with JB weld. More than 20 years later I can't find the repair.
I assume that was someone's idea of a quick fix for bad inside oil seals or a car that was pumping oil down the torque tube.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 01:55 pm:

I'd weld them and grind the repair flush.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 01:55 pm:

Braze and file smooth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 01:57 pm:

Hey, what's everybody doing in the house? I just came in for lunch...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 02:17 pm:

Well, it's about 110 degrees in the shop right now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin, Kannapolis, NC on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 03:21 pm:

If you can have them tig welded I would go that route. The heat can be kept to a minimum. Otherwise, too much heat you run the risk of bending the tube. Best bet is a pipe plug, ground smooth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 03:28 pm:

On a related note, the housing on the right appears to be leaning. Is it just the surface it is standing on or is it bent? Iíve encountered just enough bent housings!! They an be straightened with judicious use of a oxy acetylene torch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 05:14 pm:

There really is nothing wrong with a cold repair (pipe plug or similar). This would likely be my repair choice too.

If you do decide to weld em up... install a tight fitting plug in the holes first! This way the resulting shrinkage can be kept to a minimum, and less work will be required to straighten the tubes. Itís really quite amazing how little shrinking it takes to change the shape of the axle tubes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 06:06 pm:

Les, they were sitting on the weight of forklift, it slopes. My question should have been close the holes or leave them open. All are in agreement, no holes. They were drilled at an angle so tig will be the easiest. Thanks for sharing you knowledge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 08:01 pm:

leave them they are the bottom no one will see them.or junk them and get some good ones they are a dime a dozen ha,ha i think i have some free ones. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 08:18 pm:

Why are the holes there to begin with? A place to let oil drain out?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john hardiman on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 08:33 pm:

Dan, as the 3 Stooges say....water let-er-out-ahs...,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 08:41 pm:

Those look to be '15 housings so, not so much a dime a dozen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 09:07 pm:

Which ever method your shops tools can do. Tap and plug may be the easiest way.No heat,no noise and thread tape or some loctite will stop a drip.
If it were mine, I would probably " squirt some mig"in the holes,in other words use a wire welder.:-) I would do that with something stuck up inside the axle housing to prevent the molten metal from going in to far and scaring the axle making a weak spot.Something like old pipe or a piece of brass shim stock or whatever is handy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 09:27 pm:

Drill and tap then silver braze. It will wick down in the threads to seal it off from leaks. Just an idea...
Verne Shirk
Wichita, KS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 10:32 pm:

I have a set like that, I think the axle was used for a trailer with two springs instead of transverse and they drilled the holes so the spring bolts had somewhere to fit. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 02:34 am:

Plugs. Either rubber, plastic or screw in metal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 04:22 am:

I've been welding off and on for 40 years, but threading and screwing in plugs makes the most sense to me, even if they have been drilled at an angle, it's still very doable. Simple to do and very effective. No need to weld, braze, or silver solder, just use a good sealant. There are many that will do the job. JMHO Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 05:03 pm:

James,

I agree with you. Last century -- from memory -- so not as good as if I saw it last month. But I believe I remember disconnecting a T rear axle from an old trailer. And yes the hole on each side was to allow room for the center bolt of the spring. There may have been other reasons -- but I'm fairly sure that was the reason for at least one rear axle that I know about.

Of course now I'm trying to remember how they connected the rear axle to the two springs on the side of the trailer. A photograph would have been nice -- but hey it was parts and not a car.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 06:35 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 10:36 pm:

I would hit it with the stick welder for a second then another if required. Grind, file and a needle gun if available for texture. Those housings have been in ditches, pot holes and been jacked up so they need to be checked for straightness anyway.

I don't see any need to use taps, screws or glue when it can be fixed much easier like when original with a complete metal bond. Gasket sealers are fine for oil leaks but beyond that not for repair. I only like to do things once.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, July 30, 2018 - 10:41 am:

What ever year they are, check for straightness. They are often bent.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration