OT - Identify make of car

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT - Identify make of car
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 03:47 pm:

The parents of a friend of mine met in 1928 when a salesman was sent by a dealership to show a car to a customer at his home. The salesman met the customer's daughter and a year later they were married. The question is, what make and model is the car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 03:54 pm:

Looks like a 60 series Buick 6 cylinder, 1928.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 04:07 pm:

Not a '28 Buick. The cowl is not right. Could maybe be a '29. But my first guess was '28 La Salle. (Has early Harley Earl written all over it!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 04:20 pm:

I sent her the link to this thread so she can follow the discussion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian - Moultonborough NH on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 04:32 pm:

'28 La Salle looks very very close. Not going to say exact but I myself can't find anything saying it's not.

Bob's guess is close, but Wayne is right. Cowl is slightly different. one big difference is that chrome/nickel curved trim. The La Salle has the same thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Franko on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 04:46 pm:

Ití a 1928 Iasalle called a town sedan. Iím restoring a 1928 Cadillac town now. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 05:09 pm:

Found this in the Post-Dispatch for September 7, 1928. The ad says, "The nearest Cadillac-LaSalle dealer will gladly send a demonstrator to your door, if you will telephone him." That's what happened here. The customer was my friend's grandfather and the demonstrator who went to the home was her father. During the demo, he met the customer's daughter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 01:36 pm:

I hadn't realized that synchromesh transmissions were available as far back as 1928. I did some checking, and 1928 was the first year for a synchro Caddy. I had a 1928 Olds and I don't believe that it had synchro. If it did - it didn't work.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration