OT tool maker

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT tool maker
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 04:28 pm:

I found this drawing knife (Some people call it a spoke shave) it has this logo

the portion below the swan says BEST TOOL STEEL the top says something & SWAN co Just trying to get the name of the company.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 04:36 pm:

Apparently James Swan Co. See this link:

http://swingleydev.com/ot/get/173318/thread/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 07:12 am:

Thanks Dick. Interesting article this one has been well preserved and I couldn't resist trying it out very sharp and useful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 09:35 am:

That is a drawknife. A spokeshave is different.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 02:20 pm:

G.R. , that's a beautiful tool !! Lucky you ! This is a spoke shave:

Works more like a plane than the draw knife, more of a fine-finish tool. You can really hog out material with a draw knife.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 02:27 pm:

The guy I bought it from called a spoke shave, I politely informed him it was a draw knife or as grandma called it a drawing knife and that spoke shaves were much smaller and finer cut. He just asked me if I still wanted it it belonged to his father and he had no use for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 03:22 pm:

Folks who don't make things never need tools. If I'd known what I know now, I would have bought a lot more toe 50 years ago. It's great when you can score a fine tool like that one !

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration