Who does Brass Plating?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Who does Brass Plating?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Haynes - Chadron, Nebraska on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 08:03 pm:

I am looking to get a few parts Brass plated. Can anyone provide some guidance as to who can perform this service?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry K. Lee on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 08:15 pm:

ACME Plating Company in Kansas City, Outstanding work to any level of finish. Just Google their name at it will appear.

All the Best,

Hank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Haynes - Chadron, Nebraska on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 09:40 am:

Thank you Hank!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 09:44 am:

Memphis Plating Works did a great job on some parts for me a few years back. (901) 526-3051

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 10:18 am:

I would assume that any shop that can plate with Nickel can also do brass. Steel must be plated with brass before the Nickel goes on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 10:24 am:

John

it's copper first, not brass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 10:32 am:

John

it's copper first, not brass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 10:49 am:

Yes, copper under nickel, but nickel is actually the layer that prevents rust and corrosion. Some platers skip the copper layer, but "triple plated" (copper, nickel, chrome) is a quality job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 11:42 am:

Yes, triple plate IF you want chrome, otherwise, copper, then a THICK nickel plating. Modern chrome platers usually only "flash" plate the nickel, as the chrome will protect it. since the nickel is the top plating, we want it thick to both protect the metal underneath and to last for years of polishing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 09:02 pm:

Nickle used for the under coat is from what I have read is not the same as nickle used as a top coat, as in more to it then just being a flash coat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 10:54 pm:

As I understand it, there is "Grey Nickel" and "Bright Nickel." But, I've also been told that the difference is they aerate the solution now, so the nickel comes out bright; before it had to be polished.
I have a friend with the Caswell "commercial" plating set up, and he does beautiful nickel with it--and puts it on nice and thick. The work is outstanding.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, July 30, 2018 - 12:05 am:

Then there is butler nickle finish that is not shinny. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, July 30, 2018 - 01:54 am:

Ah yes, Butler Nickel can be "created" by the old nickel process (which requires buffing to be shiny)or by "dulling down" polished nickel with a somewhat coarse-charged buffing wheel leaving very fine "lines" (or graining) on the finish. You can also do this with some steel wool very carefully applied.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration