Wishbone shim phenomenon

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Wishbone shim phenomenon
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 09:20 pm:

I use old English copper pennies for wishbone ball shims. Today I removed one that had been in for about a year. It had formed into multiple paper thin laminae!

Shim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Thompson Graham NC on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 09:22 pm:

The penny must be laminated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 09:57 pm:

The type of penny and how I whack it into a concave shim.

Penny

Whacker

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 05:05 am:

Mark, have you been keeping it lubed? Although most any T would probably keep the ball very well lubed from the engine leaks. :-) :-) Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 06:04 am:

Yes, I lubricate on a regular basis. All those pieces were stuck together with grease when I removed them. I soaked them in gasoline to clean them up for the picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 11:31 am:

Mark, I believe Bob Bergstadt makes a preformed shim that fits that socket. You can also file the cap, and the socket too, if you remove the two studs. I pack mine with wheel bearing grease, and then squirt it with oil every now and then to keep everything going.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 01:23 pm:

Langs sells a replacement socket but you have to take the engine pan off to rivet the new socket to the pan and may have to do some brasing to assure that the rivets don't leak. Major repair.

If you want to use shim, use a disk of high quality steel like 1045.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 04:35 pm:

Is the ball worn undersize?
That's easy to fix. Mig weld extra metal and file it down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 06:00 pm:

No guys, I’m happy with how my penny shims work. Have done them like this for year. Just never saw a worn one like this before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 06:21 pm:

I think that's a good fix Mark, I'm more intrigued by the thought that the coin was struck from a laminated blank. ?!? Coin collectors out there shed any light ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Monday, July 30, 2018 - 02:50 am:

You'd kill a 1913 penny?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Monday, July 30, 2018 - 07:20 am:

Well ... that one was not used. I buy them by the handful and “kill” the ones that have been worn down to the point where the dates are missing completely. Same thing with Buffalo nickels for block plugs.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration