VIDEO: How to Drive a Model T Ford - Point of View (from the driver's perspective) :-)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: VIDEO: How to Drive a Model T Ford - Point of View (from the driver's perspective) :-)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mitch Taylor on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 02:45 am:

This video is a request from one of my valued YouTube subscribers, in this video, we take a different approach to learning how to drive a Model T, this time, Point of View, so you see exactly what to do, from the drivers perspective... Enjoy :-)

Click the link below to watch the video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwacbtXTjQw

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Markus Huether - Germany on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 06:05 am:

Hi Mitch,
A very nice video. To start with a T the video Is very helpful.

Best regards from Germany
Markus

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 06:18 am:

Very cool. My wife wants to learn to drive the T and this would help her better than I can. She never listens to what I say. LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 08:19 am:

Very well done video.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 01:56 pm:

That could help a lot of folks. Very nicely done !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mitch Taylor on Monday, July 30, 2018 - 12:21 am:

The only thing I would do differently next time is try and get a lapel microphone to make it a bit easier to hear me

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Hansen on Monday, July 30, 2018 - 07:56 pm:

Too much fooling around with the emergency brake. Learn to use your foot. who ever used their left foot for reverse? Also, I think he toyed around too much with the spark advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis. Tomball Texas on Monday, July 30, 2018 - 11:48 pm:

"Driving a model T is harder than You think" filmed at Green field Village covered in ice and snow. Ride operations Supervisor Lisa Deuchler gives automotive writer a model T driving lesson.Lisa knows how to drive a model T which she drives everyday when the village is open.very nice person met her last year at the village.
https://youtu.be/MLMS_QtKamg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 12:15 am:

I use my left foot for reverse all the time. I want my right foot over the brake pedal so I won't back into anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, North Central AZ on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 12:13 pm:

I use my left foot for reverse and right foot for brake as well.

Too easy to get confused while backing and closing in on a wall and pressing the reverse pedal even harder with your right foot thinking it is the brake. Early on I learned this lesson when I inadvertently backed into a wall.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 12:25 pm:

Much easier to use the left for reverse. Use the same way as you use it for low and don't need to remember which foot to use. Also frees the right foot for the brake. I also use the brake hand lever at long signals to give my left foot a rest. I can pull the lever into neutral with foot on the brake. Then just push the low to start out and push the lever forward as I go into high. If you drive the T often, these things will come easy.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Hansen on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 08:59 pm:

I'm sorry I raised such a stink, but I learned how to drive a T from my Dad, who drove his new 1926 T to school for two years, through Michigan winter, spring and fall. Never missed a day nor was late. 14 miles to school. He taught me to use my right foot on the reverse and brake. Left foot on low n -high. Only set the emergency brake when parking. Nuff said. I'm not changing. only been driving Model T's for 54 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 10:00 pm:

I don't use my left foot for reverse much either. Mostly holding the clutch down with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 10:46 pm:

I use my left foot for Reverse also, I guess it comes down to how you were taught, and what feels most comfortable for you. I also utilize the Handbrake lever/Neutral more than most purists would probably admit to, and it makes driving up to immovable objects directly in front of you much less stressful. Pull it up into Neutral as you coast to your desired stopping point, and all you have to concentrate on is using the brakes. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 09:10 pm:

I use my left foot for reverse as well and right foot for braking.

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 10:29 pm:

Chris, I don't smell anything wrong. Just different opinions on how to drive. No big deal. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni Fredericksburg, VA on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 12:09 pm:

Question from a new guy (I haven't driven mine yet). When using the throttle is it ok to move it that quickly when going into high? It seems like the engine would not have that much time to rev up or rev down.

P.S. I enjoy all your videos. Keep em' coming.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 01:04 pm:

It's customary to briefly rev up in low, raise the throttle lever as you shift into high, and gradually pull down the lever as you gain speed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis. Tomball Texas on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 01:30 pm:

Robert. If You don't reduce throttle when shifting from low to high engine will rev up "Quick" in between gears just like a stick shift car if You don't take Your foot off the gas when shifting. took me a few drives and watching a T video to figure that out. a floor gas pedal accessory would solve the problem and the hand throttle would still work for starting and cruising. Hand throttle is not a problem just haft to get used to it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni Fredericksburg, VA on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 02:31 pm:

Thanks! I know about the movement of the lever. It just seems like Mitch was doing it fast. I didn't know if that would change the speed of the engine by moving it that quickly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mitch Taylor on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 08:36 pm:

I'm so pleased to see people are finding this video useful :-) Would anyone have any objections to me re-publishing their comments on my blog?

https://www.fordmodelt.net/blog/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 09:20 pm:

Well,....for reverse,....left foot, right foot??? Like Steve Jelf said,...."just different opinions,....no big deal".

Actually, just my "opinion", but I think there might be one other pretty good reason for making a "habit" of using the right foot for reverse.

I believe that a lot of becoming proficient at Model T driving has to do with "muscle memory". As those of us who have been "T" drivers for quite some time know, a lot of it is just plain,...seat-of-the-pants, "getting the feel of it!" Consider this:

One "technique" that many won't use very often, but a technique that can be very handy is what's called,..."rocking the car". That is a "technique" whereby you place your left foot on the left, or "high/low" clutch pedal, and your right foot on the reverse pedal. With the throttle lever set properly,....say perhaps just a bit above fast idle, and when stuck in mud, soft sand, or deep snow, you alternately depress low pedal and reverse pedal to alternately move the car a bit forward, and the backward in such a rhythm as to gradually increase the distance the car moves forward and back, until finally, the car does not stop but keeps moving, and "wha-lah"!!!....success!!!

The whole secret of this "technique" is the rocking "rhythm" which allows the car to move a bit further back, and then forth, each time until finally continuing on out of the "stuck" spot.

Now then (I'll get to the point yet) I believe it is much easier to successfully accomplish/attain this "rhythm" technique for successfully "rocking" the car out of a "stuck" spot, if you have developed the necessary "muscle memory" in your feet/legs by always using the left foot for clutch (high/low) pedal and right foot for reverse pedal. That's ma' story, and I'm stickn' to it! For what it's worth,....???.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 09:28 pm:

....I might add that my Dad taught me how to do this when he first taught me to drive in wintertime in Chicago (snow) when I was a kid. At that time, we had my Dad's first "NEW" car, a '51 Pontiac, which had a hydra-matic automatic transmission. Can't tell you how many times he "cussed-out" that %?#&?@# hydra-matic, because it wouldn't change quick enough from "drive" to "reverse" to allow him to "rock" the car out of deep snow or whatever, like he said he could do years before with the "ol' Model T Ford"! He had to use the brake pedal at the end of each forward & reverse move and couldn't establish the same old "rhythm" that he could with the Model T Ford!

O.K.,...I'll "shut-up" now,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 10:01 pm:

Chris

I'm with you too, have been operating the Model T for the same 54 years :-)

And we can for sure classify ourselves as experienced!

Right foot, the 'r' in right stands for reverse!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 10:42 pm:

Answer #13 has it both ways. Using the left foot for reverse, use the right foot to brake. Using the right foot, use the low pedal to "brake" with the left.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 12:53 am:

That makes my Maxwell look east to drive.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration