Oilers or zero fittings for aftermarket suspension

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Oilers or zero fittings for aftermarket suspension
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Duthler on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 03:17 pm:

I have a H & D aftermarket suspension assist with .245 cast holes for lubrication. Does anyone know where I could find oilers or zero fittings (press in)? There are several fittings missing.

Also, does anyone have any info on the H & D parts?

I tried to attach photos, but it said that they were to large

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 06:55 pm:

These Model A flip top oilers are 1/4" dia. May work for your purpose.

https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_model_a/model-a-ford-distributor-base-oiler-flip-top-type-cadmium-plated.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=paid_search&utm_campaign=paid_search_google_pla&adpos=1o1&scid=scplp28-26224-1&sc_intid=28-26224-1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1NOwt7LF3AIVQkOGCh2t9gZUEAQYASABEgILPfD_BwE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Duthler on Monday, July 30, 2018 - 09:29 am:

That is exactly what I have! They came on my 1919 T when I bought it, and have a patent date of 1918 on them, so I think they were available for use on 1919 vehicles. I'm going to try the distributor oil fittings; I think I may have some downstairs. Where did you find the catalog page? Is there any more information, advertisements or photos available? I would love to get any info that is available.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, July 30, 2018 - 10:00 am:

Hi Ron,

This thread is of interest to me as these H & D shocks are on the front and rear of my '14 Touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Duthler on Monday, July 30, 2018 - 10:03 am:

What do you have for lube fittings?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, July 30, 2018 - 11:11 am:

The brass thing on the shackle is the oiler. Later cars had the flip top oiler installed in the hole on the leaf and perch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Duthler on Monday, July 30, 2018 - 01:08 pm:

Mine has a bolt with a castle nut, no lube fitting - similar to H&D advertisement shown above. I wonder how to lube this part

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, July 30, 2018 - 08:42 pm:

You are looking for flip top oilers so I would hazard a guess that you have an early spring with no oil hole or it's plugged with dirt. Re; "I wonder how to lube this part" If your main leaf has the oil hole, the same way as a setup with out the helper springs, thru the flip top.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Duthler on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 12:42 pm:

No hole, and bolt looks like the photo above in the advertisement. I found a model A spindle bolt that has a grease fitting, but is to long. I may have to have a bolt machined for the oil fitting and oil passage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 08:08 pm:

Get the early style shackles or drill hole in spring leaf. The "bolt" is forged as part of the shackle and even if you have the modern style shackles, the area under the head is fluted to lock in the plate.
1919 would have the drilled hole in the main leaf and would have clipped corners not tapered like what is shown in above photos.
That being said, I wonder if maybe there is some confusion in the description of parts. ? The only place there should be a bolt/castle nut would be at the spring perch.
My email in my profile, one time offer, send me a couple of photos and I will resize them and add to post.
Or; someone in the past built the shackles out of some shackle plates and bolts, if that is the case, the correct parts should be installed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Duthler on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 09:08 am:

Car is gone for 2 weeks, will send email with pics when I get it back. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 10:16 am:

That will work. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration