Stipe Cam

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Stipe Cam
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 03:18 pm:

I have a Stype 280 cam in my '13 roadster. I have them in two other T's I own too. Stype recommends .010 for clearance, but I just don't think the valves are all seating properly. I'm thinking of increasing the clearance to .012. Comments?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 03:22 pm:

no problems it wont hurt a thing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 05:18 pm:

Larry -- There is no "y" in Stipe. :-)

I routinely use 10 on the intakes and 12 on the exhausts with those cams and haven't had any problems with them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 05:19 pm:

If the valves are not seating properly, the extra .002" wont make any difference, all that will happen you will burn your valves out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 06:10 pm:

If there is clearance between the lifter and the valve and the valves are not seating, you have a problem with the grind, carbon on the stems, or weak springs. Not the clearance.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 06:45 pm:

Larry - Not sure why you think the valves are not, "....all seating properly." But if that is the case, I would think that a compression test would be in order. Or, perhaps a compression test is why you suspect sticky valves....???

As far as a couple thousandths in excess of the recommended valve lash (clearance) I make a habit of usually adding a couple thousandths more valve lash, especially on exhaust valves. The only time a valve cools is during the time the valve is closed and firmly seated on the valve seat and radiating heat into the cooler engine block. And a bit more valve lash lets the valve remain "seated" just a bit longer and hence, cool a bit more. Yeah, it's only a very tiny bit longer, but it's every time the valve closes, and it all adds up! A little extra valve lash will make them a bit noisier, but if they're all the same, it'll hardly be noticeable. It's only when one valve has a bit more clearance than the others is when you can really hear it. And even THAT won't hurt anything; it's just an annoying and noticeable "tick" each time the tappet opens that one valve.

For what it's worth,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, July 30, 2018 - 10:43 am:

I'm going to check the compression this week. I just haven't gotten around to it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Monday, July 30, 2018 - 11:23 am:

Larry, if you're running the Stipe 280, consider advancing the cam timing 7-1/2 degrees. I've been running one in my Fordor for 5 years, and advanced it last week. It made an incredible difference in the power output of the engine. It does not lug at all going into high gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Monday, July 30, 2018 - 11:25 am:

The drawing is not mine, I found it on this forum. I was able to use a straight edge and drill press to drill the 3/8" holes in the new location.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Monday, July 30, 2018 - 11:51 am:

I put a Stripe cam in my engine this summer. I used 0.010 clearance and the valves are closing fine. Compression is good. After a few hundred miles I will go back and check the clearance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Monday, July 30, 2018 - 01:08 pm:

Ed, I thought the new 250 and 280 Stipe cams were already advanced?

I know the Chaffin new one is.

I run my 250 Stipe at .010 and close to .011 exh.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 09:07 am:

I use advanced timing gears with Stipe cams and regrinds from Rick Carnegie with excellent results. I have not used a Chaffin cam.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 01:04 pm:

That photo was one I posted years ago. What I should have done was post a picture of the old iron gear that I made a drilling jig from. Place the new gear on the jig and line up the dowel holes. Turn the new gear 12 1/2 teeth clockwise then clamp them together. Flip it over and drill the new holes using the holes in the old gear as a guide. I then used an engraver to indicate which holes went with which timing mark. It was easier to do that than to write this up.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration