Steering question.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Steering question.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Monday, July 30, 2018 - 02:33 pm:

I'm just about done rebuilding the steering column of my '27 and have a part left over. It appears to be some kind of thrust washer, but it has a slot for a keyway in it. I assume that it goes either inside the steering gear case just below the opening for the steering wheel shaft, or just above the opening between the cover and the steering wheel. The "Bible" doesn't say anything about it. Ideas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, July 30, 2018 - 08:34 pm:

No washer with a key way cut in the steering box. Someone may have made it to take up slop between the steering wheel and cover. The only "washer" in the box is the flanged bushing in the cover.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, July 30, 2018 - 09:39 pm:

The parts section of the encyclopedia lists #3506-B, steering gear drive pinion washer, but the pictures show it as just a plain round washer with no key way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, July 30, 2018 - 10:29 pm:

#3506-B, steering gear drive pinion (thrust) washer
That is what looks like the flange on the bushing. (There sure are a lot of pinions on a Model T :-) )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, July 30, 2018 - 10:42 pm:

That p/n 3506B washer sits on the top of drive pinion.

The worn out 4:1 drive pinion upper left has washer removed. Pinion on the right has its washer in place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 12:41 am:

Never could figure why the bushing was pressed on the easy to replace pinion and not in the housing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 08:33 am:

I never knew about the different 4-1 pinion gears until a week or so ago. I bought a 13-14 column with a bad shaft and the pinion wouldn't fit into a later shaft because it was too long.
IMG_5806.JPG

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 01:41 pm:

Thanks, guys!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration