Spindle ID

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Spindle ID
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin, Kannapolis, NC on Monday, July 30, 2018 - 04:44 pm:

I picked up these NOS spindles. They are not Ford, must be an early aftermarket brand. Wondering if anyone can ID the makers mark. Looks like an S, with arrows pointing each side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, July 30, 2018 - 06:09 pm:

They appear to have more camber than standard Ford spindles. I had heard some years ago that someone made a special run of something like that. Maybe could be a pair of those?
Otherwise, I have no ideas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin, Kannapolis, NC on Monday, July 30, 2018 - 07:28 pm:

I checked the camber, same as a Ford spindle. Another clue that these are not Ford built is the "keyway" for the washer is round cut, not square like the Ford. I tried to look up this forge mark on line but have had no luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, July 30, 2018 - 09:35 pm:

That forge mark of the "S" may identify as the counterfeit symbol of those Spurious Parts that the Service Bulletins warn against :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin, Kannapolis, NC on Monday, July 30, 2018 - 09:44 pm:

Dan, some things never change. The OEM's still tell you to only use their genuine factory parts. These spindles must have been sold by the " Auto Zone" of the twenties. I would still like to find out who made them. I will have to start digging through some old time car magazines.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, July 30, 2018 - 10:11 pm:

Darryl

Those stores were mostly Sears Roebuck, and Western Auto. Both supplied 'parts for Fords'. Note they say parts for Ford, not Ford Parts!

Here is Sears Roebuck auto parts, note the caption in red. And the spindles they offered, Western Auto had spindles too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin, Kannapolis, NC on Monday, July 30, 2018 - 10:24 pm:

There we go,,,,, The S is for Sears!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration