The first automobile permitted into Yellowstone National Park.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: The first automobile permitted into Yellowstone National Park.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 07:05 am:

Saturday, July 31, 1915. The first automobile, a Ford Model T, was permitted into Yellowstone National Park.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 07:55 am:

What us the story behind your comment?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 08:20 am:

Hi Warren. Here is a picture of that Model T and the permit.

The second part of this post talks more about this:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/553091.html?1436207411

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 08:31 am:

Did the person jump the gun? Autos were allowed in Yellowstone on Augest 1,1915.Yellowstone was the last established park to allow autos.A very good read,or if your like me and need pictures is The Playground Trail by Lee Whiteley and Jane Whiteley.Jon,You were missed at Standish!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen, Batavia, IL on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 08:33 am:

Note the tires!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 09:10 am:

Rich,

With your Grandfather receiving the first pass into the park is one of those children around the car your Father, or uncle?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 09:25 am:

Kinda neat aftermarket hood and radiator cover

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 10:03 am:

Yes Denny, the young man on the left is my Father. The first five children fit in the model T. They bought Buicks when the family grew to 12. I suspect the original radiator froze and was replaced the first Winter. West Yellowstone had brutal weather. This is the only photo I have found of this car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 12:57 pm:

Thank you Rich, for the additional information and great photos.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 01:48 pm:

Richard - I was going to mention the odd looking radiator, but then you at least partially explained that in your 10:03am post; must have been some "after-market" non-Ford radiator, huh?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 01:56 pm:

That is what I am assuming. I haven't seen a radiator like that before. By the time I became interested in cars most of the information was gone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 03:28 pm:

Rich, very special for me to see a picture of your dad at age six. I thought worlds of him, he left us 'way too soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 03:57 pm:

Thanks Rich. That's nice to hear. If only we could have gotten him more involved with old cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 06:45 pm:

Whoa! $10 to get in!

Very neat bit of ephemera!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Kowalczyk - Nampa Idaho on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 09:09 pm:

Richard,

That is a super cool family experience , I can understand your love for West Yellowstone and the family connection is amazing.

Thanks for sharing

Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 10:18 pm:

Great stuff!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 11:27 pm:

Great photo Rich! A bunch of crows is called a murder of crows What is the collective term for a dozen eagles? Even a Buick would be struggling as 12 Eagles grew.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 09:08 am:

A group of eagle is called a convocation, brood, aerie. Here is a photo of the second Buick. It was before the two youngest Uncles were born. The wheels bear the typical Yellowstone road dirt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 09:24 am:

Well dressed and the Buick the family has really moved up in the world.I have no idea but in the book i mentioned there might be pictures of your family and their cars? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, North Central AZ on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 11:34 am:

An amazing story Richard! Looks like a new 24 or 25 Buick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 11:42 am:

$10 in 1915 is close to $250 today. Wow!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linus Tremaine on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 11:45 am:

Yellowstone eventually got a fleet of Model L lincolns for their own tours. I think one or two survive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 12:25 pm:

Those Lincolns were fantastic cars. A fellow in Colorado had one and we have one locally. The Park also had 50 White Touring cars before the Lincolns in addition to the several hundred Buses.
The 1923 Plate on the Buick suggests a 1924 Model.
Rich

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration