Question for guys running Chevrolet overhead conversions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Question for guys running Chevrolet overhead conversions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 10:33 am:

Are you running with the atomizers in place or removed? I have them in place and the chase car driver told me I was doing around 50 on the flat. The speed was reached in minutes not seconds! LOL
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 11:23 am:

Should add, running in Warford (cast iron 3 speed) overdrive and stock rear end. Ignition by Bosch 009 distributor using Bosch front plate mount with VW carb. I did not cc the plate and have not checked compression. The line off the water pump goes to back of head to help push more water thru it. I had the hood off at the show and explained what I had done to a lot off people. I think just about every other person asked about the lack of rocker arm cover.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry K. Lee on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 11:35 am:

Hi Mark,

I do not use the atomizers because the siamese ports in the head does a great mix on a Model T and because the adapter plate causes a great swirl with it as well. My 1925 Boat-Tail has a basic configuration as this and does well. If you want seconds vs minutes, stoking the engine really brings the torque out of hiding. With the extra weight associated with your vehicle shown, it does take a little longer to get out of the hole, but your cruising speed should be great.

All the Best,

Hank in Tin-A-See

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 12:35 pm:

Can't add to the atomizer question, but from my vw experience the Bosch 009 dizzy doesn't work well with a 31pict3 carb. They always seen to have a stumble during acceleration. Can't tell which carb you have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry K. Lee on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 01:01 pm:

Gary,

On the carburetor I have found you to be correct as the stroke of a VW is so much less vs the T. Using a Holley 1904/1908 series from a Ford inline 6 (170/200 CID) engine works really, really well.
Just my $.02.

All the Best,

Hank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 02:13 pm:

I have a 1928 Chevrolet powered dirt track car. This has a complete 1928 Chevrolet motor. I noticed a positive difference with the removal of the inserts in the intake ports.

While I am using a Winfield carburetor and aluminum intake manifold, I did notice a difference in idle and slow speed acceleration.

I'm guessing that Chevrolet had issues with the very poor and low octane gas in the late '20's. 1928 was the 1st last and only year they used a 2 port 4 cylinder intake system.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry K. Lee on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 03:08 pm:

The one I have with dual Winfields as with Brass Car Guy, runs like a raped ape.

Hank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 04:24 pm:

My dad used to say that earlier Chevy owners would change to Olds heads as they had two exhaust ports. Does anyone know anything about this?

Neil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 04:26 pm:

Mark,

My 27 Chevy had a felt pad that was saturated with oil on top of the valves and sheet metal cover over that to protect it from dirt.

Neil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 09:05 pm:

As of today the valve cover has been installed, but I have to cut out a felt pad. :-)
The Olds has 3 exhaust ports, front, center and rear it's the 28 Chevrolet's that have 2. I have seen pictures of the 27 back Chevrolet engines with a 28 head, but the Olds should bolt up the same.
Right now it's a 28 PICT VW carb. I am not looking to blow the doors off but the carb is just not enough volume. I can get up to speed with no reserve, but when the engine was stock except; a touring cam (same cam now) and advanced timing gear (stock gear now), era Zenith intake with OE1 carb she was a lot faster and just felt like it had more go. The carb off the Ford 200 or I am going to fab an intake and use the OE1 I have. I shorten the runners on the intake (28 Chev) hoping to use a Model A carb but just not enough room with the water pump.
Guess this weekend I will start by pulling the atomizers without doing much damage to them if I can. The asking price on Ebay (ya I know), not a give away item.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 10:05 pm:

Felt pad cut, oiled and installed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 08:31 pm:

Nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 10:58 pm:

Thank you! :-) The cover was a tight fit. I had to put a cut out to go around the rib on the dash. I don't want to cut any more of the dash away as I already had to do some.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration