Extra Long Transmission Bands

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Extra Long Transmission Bands
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 11:12 am:

A friend recently complained about his 1926 T not wanting to move in Low with the pedal depressed all the way.

Removing the transmission cover noted the Low band was tightened so much that the spring was totally compressed.

Removing all 3 bands noted that each had very little wear, they all had detachable ears, but no identifying marks on any of the ears.

These appear to be Brand X After market bands.

The strange part is that all 3 bands were about 1/2 inch longer than Ford Model T Bands.

I have seen very similar bands with the GM logo on them that were used in early automatic transmissions and they were also 1/2 inch longer than Ford bands.

I have never seen a wide GM Band though.

Would anyone know what these bands were made to fit and by whom?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 11:17 am:

Woven, solid, or wood ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 11:18 am:

My bad, you're referencing the length of the metal bands, not the lining length.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 04:32 pm:

James

This earlier thread leads me to believe these are Gemco brand, the symbols G-M Co on the ears are the maker's mark.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/750153.html?1493435852

Don't know about the band circumference of these G-M Co, but regular Ford linings have been 23 7/16" to 23 1/2" length per Ford spec.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 05:21 pm:

These bands have no marks at all.

The extra long ones I found years ago had the GM on them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 08:39 pm:

There were band linings that were thicker than "normal" ..... could be used with these metal bands ??

Brand name of " Allstate " comes to mind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 07:30 am:

Bob, that thought crossed my mind this morning, perhaps those band were made as an accessory with wooden bands that may have been thicker.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 10:50 am:

Is it possible that the Gemco bands used some kind of proprietary thicker lining? That would account for the longer bands.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 10:51 am:

Oops........Bob already covered it. Sorry!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 07:27 pm:

Mark, I did not remember we had crossed paths before on these bands.

The Gemco band has the notches cut in the band material.

These bands have notches cut in the ear.

That extra length could accommodate the McBride band quick re-liner.

There is absolutely no logo or name on the ears of these bands though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 07:18 pm:

After cleaning and checking the bands, I found two of the bands to be correct Ford bands and found another correct Ford band to replace the wrong one.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration