Any solutions to reducing the residual exhaust smell?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Any solutions to reducing the residual exhaust smell?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael - Detroit, Mich on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 02:43 am:

‘20 Touring
My passengers (including the girlfriend) often comment on how they smell like exhaust fumes after going for a ride.

Is there any way to reduce or eliminate this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 03:54 am:

This happens to me when the mixture screw is slightly rich. Doesn't happen when ever so slightly lean.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 06:54 am:

Check the exhaust manifold to tail pipe connection to see if it is sealed properly. Also check your spark plug color at the electrodes to see if you are running rich.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan Long Western Australia on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 07:25 am:

What about the smell on your hands from the Fordite Steering
Rim? That stays for awhile too! All part of the fun😀
Alan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 08:07 am:

Dont allow passengers!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 08:34 am:

Take a shower, shampoo, and change clothes!:-)
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 09:00 am:

"It smells good in here Grampa" is what my grandson said upon entering the garage one day. Perhaps attitude and conditioning is required for full enjoyment.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 09:19 am:

Dale..'bout choked on your post!! I half agree!
But, I was gonna say, tell 'em to wash their clothes and take a shower when they're done riding. Or save time and do both at the same time in the shower! Ha ha. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 09:32 am:

I don't think Model T's would pass OSHA regulations .-----------

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 09:36 am:

Are you sure it is exhaust, and not oil fumes? Try a different brand of oil and see if it changes or goes away. I’ve been using Wal-mart oil for years because it is low-odor in the T.

If the rings are worn and there is even a little blow-by, then a lot of oil vapor can come out the oil breather cap and valve cover and fill the passenger area, especially on an enclosed car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 09:46 am:

Additional equipment can be provided for your riders.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 10:17 am:

How about a shot of Marvel Mystery Oil? This must be why it has that nice wintergreen smell. Your passengers will marvel at the difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 10:51 am:

In a word, no With the cab being in such close proximity to the gas tank and engine and the cab not being airtight, and the crankcase vapors flowing past and under the cab and the routine leakage of the carburetor, not to mention the occasional leakage of exhaust at the pack nut, as well as the termination of the exhaust pipe under the car, so close to the cab, major revisions would have to be done to eliminate this trait of the Model T. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leo van Stirum, NL on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 11:56 am:

How about a Prius......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 12:18 pm:

Dirt, grease and oil on the engine can cause smells when the engine is hot. Cleaning everything in the engine compartment can eliminate that problem.

I've never noticed any exhaust smells with our roadster or touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 12:38 pm:

I have a touring car. I sealed the holes in the floor boards by adding the boots that snap around the pedals and brake handle, which are available from the parts suppliers. I made some fitted wood at the back of the head that closed off a huge leak there. The rubber floor mat also helps. I take care to tighten the exhaust pipe nut and make sure there are no exhaust leaks where the exhaust manifold bolts to the block. I stop any gas leaks by using EZ Turn fuel petcock grease and keep the fuel line fittings tight. I have a new float valve in the carb. The back seat has a floor mat too which I think helps. No one has complained about exhaust smell even when running with an open cutout which is under the front floor boards. Basically just stop any leaks including into the car through the floor boards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 12:41 pm:

I was thinking perhaps “blowby “ from the engine oil filler. If the rings are getting worn, at higher loads considerable volume of gasses will occur. I know some guys have tried PCV systems or perhaps a “road draft” tube

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 03:32 pm:

Drive FASTER! Blows the odors away quicker.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 09:05 pm:

I'm reminded that when early automobiles arrived out here in the golden west, the Indians called them "skunk wagons". 'Nuff said. As Rich noted, some conditioning and positive experience may be a pre-requisite to enjoying the Model T experience. Smells good to me, too !!

(So do horses, saddle and harness leather and the shed row)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 01:50 am:

Tow it?........ LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 09:04 am:

This 1907 Charles Russell painting was used as the logo for a Montana MTFCA Tour some years ago.
Speaking of "Skunk Wagon"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 06:51 pm:

Is that a dead goat under the front of the car or is the man with the wrench trying to finish it off.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration