Installing Aluminum Body Trim

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Installing Aluminum Body Trim
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Grabowski on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 11:24 am:

After installing the aluminum cowl trim on my 24 fordor I used 1/8" aluminum welding rod and cut short pieces to fit in the nail Holes.

I hammered then down to swell the pins in the hole then ground them almost flush. I then used a file to blend them to the trim.

I finished them by block sanding first with 80 grit then followed with 320 grit. I then etched primed the trim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 11:27 am:

Very nicely done.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 12:05 pm:

John, Glad to see your up and running again, years ago when I restored ours, I could not figure how they nailed around a corner, then started knocking out the rusted nails from the backside and noticed the little plugs. Great job! would you like to do some more? Thanks Joe, P.S. Tell that good looking wife I said hello!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 01:47 pm:

John,

Thank You for showing your method. I had been at a loss as to how I was going to get my trim back on the center door when I finish with the wood replacement. Looks like you method works better than what I had dreamed up.

Terry

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration