MTFCA Communications Systems are Down :-(

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: MTFCA Communications Systems are Down :-(
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn - Lincoln, NE on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 12:25 pm:

The MTFCA Headquarters went through a severe thunderstorm, lightning has taken out our servers and communication systems ("fried" is the term Susan used!) including our telephone system. We are unable to communicate though the main office at this time. Thank you for your understanding, if you have been unable to reach us. Repairs are in progress but will take some time as we will have to replace routers etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 01:40 pm:

OMG they let the "BLUE SMOKE" escape! hope repairs are completed in a timely manner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 01:50 pm:

Thanks for letting us know. My house was hit a few years back. Took days to figure out everything that was fried and a month or more for some things to show symptoms.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 07:30 am:

This reminds me of when we lived in Ky.

We were on the end of a power feed and every time there was a thunderstorm sparks would jump from a light in the library to a cabinet. One of the electricians at work put three MOVs ( I think that is correct) on the inlet power to the house and it stopped. He said that if we got hit by lightening they would protect us but we would need to get 3 more installed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 07:40 am:

I stopped buying plug strips with surge protectors and put this whole house surge protector on my circuit breaker box. It has a couple of LEDs to show me it's still working.

If you think of how many ceiling fan controllers, dimmer switches, microwaves, stoves, TVs, computers and other devices could be fried in a storm, it's cheap insurance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 07:56 am:

I worked as a telephone repairman for forty years and have had many a conversation with customers about lightening, power hits, etc.

I always tried to make the customer understand that NOTHING man made is going to stop lightening. NOTHING. We're talking about a force capable of vaporizing a block of solid steel......and you actually think that $19.95 "surge protector" from Walmart is going to help? Even a strike miles away can knock out the mother board in a computer from discharge in the air, and never hit the phone/power lines. That telephone box on the side of your house is called a "protector", but it's designed to prevent the house from burning down and that's all. I've seen them completely burned and melted, but the house was still standing.

Your best bet is to simply unplug everything of value if an electrical storm is imminent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 08:41 am:

I can get a response from Justin by simply holding a large pepperoni pizza from Clara’s aloft so it can catch the wind ...

Works every time .... :-)

I have to figure out what Kate’s weakness is .... :-)

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Yaeger on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 09:19 am:

Glad to report that the phones, internet, and email here at the biz office and museum are now back in service.

Thanks for your patience if you've sent an email in the past two days. We'll get back to you just as soon as possible.

Hope this is the last of some technical roadblocks we've encountered in the past few weeks! Knock on wood...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 09:44 am:

I think the office should be period correct and you should only send letters and telegrams to members. :-):-):-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 11:10 am:

Ya. No puters just pen, pencil, typewriters, and paper.
Crank phone, like Steve has is OK.

And They my need a Chicago typewriter for protection.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sayer on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 01:03 am:

Im thankful that was the only harm done, glad all is alright. Be Safe!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration