I'm Thinking About Buying These; Are Parts Available?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: I'm Thinking About Buying These; Are Parts Available?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 12:27 pm:

I've taken the liberty of posting two pictures of electric headlamps that are for sale on the classifieds.

What I'd like to know is...Are parts such as the reflectors and lenses available; if so, from where?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 12:34 pm:

To my untrained eye, they look like 15-16. The lenses were just flat glass, so not a huge problem. Ordinary T reflectors should work

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 12:37 pm:

Reflectors arenít available from our vendors because of the location of the headlamp bulb unit. But lenses are being repopped and will fit those lamps and are available. Iíll bet the rims are brass and have long ago been painted black....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 12:39 pm:

Respectfully disagree Les due to my reasoning above..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 12:39 pm:

Seem pretty lumpy pair of lamps, the bucket on one has rear dent, rims are dented, and missing one thumbscrew latch, plus no sockets.

Reflectors may be found, depending on the bucket i.d. a set of Model T reflectors may work, at least the regular Model T sockets could fit into the buckets and a Model T reflector. May be lucky that Ford reflector and the retaining spring might fit!

Finding lens would depend on the i.d. of the rims. And what feature the rims use for clipping the lens in place. Many of this era use single tab clips that work best with plain round lens, not the notched Ford 'H' fluted lens.

For round lens you would want these type of clips to hold the round edge. Various aftermarket lens can be found on the internet, eBay, or other sites that if the right i.d. would fit those rims. Or just have a glass cutter make a set of plain round clear sheet glass as lens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Duthler on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 12:54 pm:

Schneiders has flat lens, reflectors and springs for standard T headlamps, depending what diameter you have. I bought a set and it fit my 1919 headlights good. The reflectors are anodized aluminum and good quality. I could not find the clips that hold the lens in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 01:15 pm:

Not 15-16. They appear to be made for fork mount, which would be early 15. For lenses you can cut a piece of cardboard to fit, take it to the local glass shop, and have them use it for a pattern to cut some window glass lenses. Spend less, save shipping.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 01:45 pm:

I did what Steve said, Cost me $21.64 for both lenses

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 02:10 pm:

Any possible source I can check into for correct reflectors?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 03:47 pm:

Bill

Don't know of any source for reflectors with size and off-set socket to fit. Only find a better set of yoke style lamps that have their original reflectors and sockets! :-)

Just a consideration, may not work, but the T reflectors are shallow, and have the socket in the center.

Those buckets seem rather deep and the socket is off set to the base of the bucket.

If you try a used T reflector, it may fit, as those buckets might leave enough space to adapt a connector to a socket and bulb.

Might be able to wire a pigtail from a replacement socket you put in the bucket fitting, and put a new socket with the bulb in the reflector. That way you have an extension cord like wiring to the sockets. The Bakelite plug will go in the lower back of the yoke style buckets, and the wiring is carried to the bulb inside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 04:18 pm:

Those should repair nicely. If the rims are brass, anneal them and tippy-tap them straight, then sand the outside with progressivly finer sandpaper and polish. I ran over one of my brass lamps and did this, turned out okay....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 04:37 pm:

Bill,

First and foremost, measure the rim size before thinking the rest through.

During the transition there were 2 lens sizes! Ergo, different reflectors.

The standard/later lens style is 8-1/8 diameter....the originals were larger, as were the Western Auto upgrade replacements for the pre-15 forks.

As to lens, it may not be pure...but a local guy made his 15's out of plexiglass which shine up as good as glass and are a lot cleaner to work with when a rim falls off and gets run over :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 04:53 pm:

The socket issue can be dealt with by rebuilding them in a manner used on many lamps during those days. Buick in the '20s had a short socket in the bucket with about eight inches of wire connecting it to another short socket in the reflector. That method corrects for any offset between a bucket and reflector. I think Ford actually did that in some of the odd low socket lamps used for about a year or two in the late '10s (has everybody forgotten about those?). I repaired one for a friend a long time ago and it was wired that way. Whether these particular lamps were done that way or not (I have seen such lamps both ways myself)? It would work IF (that big IF again) the standard T reflectors fit well enough, which they may or may not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 09:08 pm:

I have only seen reflectors for those once. They were a bit weird. If you don't think drilling new holes in reproduction centered hole reflectors would work then the idea Dan Treace and Wayne Sheldon proposed would be quite functional.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 09:37 pm:

Model A's used an off set connection to power and the bulb socket was mounted to a screw in the center for adjustment.
https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/headlamp-sockets

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 10:52 pm:

Bill

Those lamps seem real close to this aftermarket generic lamp in this ad.

The large hinged doors, shape of the doors or rims, and the socket placement. 7" mounting centers for the forks.

May be the same? :-) Know too that some aftermarket lamps are too big to fit the Ford, and can hit the fender or radiator if too large.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration