Finding splattered brass

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Finding splattered brass
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 01:30 pm:

When I blast an engine pan I know I'll see where they sprayed hot brass on it to seal the seams. But I never thought about other places where the same thing was done. Here are a couple I found this morning.

I don't know what they were sealing here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 01:59 pm:

Not for sealing, holds it together. I see cracks on your steering base. Better fix it. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 04:38 pm:

Steve-
You should see some residual brass plating on the steering quadrant, too.

-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 04:49 pm:

Dan, yes, I intend to. I expect a lot of steering columns without support braces are cracked there.

Keith, yes, I should. But I don't. I have a couple of these small-tube steering columns, and I don't detect a trace of brass anywhere on the quadrants or the levers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 07:18 pm:

It must work, the steering column may be the only thing that doesn't leak on some cars.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 07:54 pm:

Interesting. :-)
One more that I've found.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration