Inner axle seal question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Inner axle seal question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jonathan Delancey on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 09:15 pm:

When installing a new neoprene inner seal, do I seat it as the sleeve is being inserted, or do I use something to seat it before I knock in the sleeve. I've seen the video but it just shows the seal being pushed in as far as he can with his fingers and the next scene he is knocking in the sleeve. Going to be my Saturday morning job. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 09:27 pm:

I use a screwdriver to push the seal all the way in, then add a bit of extra silicone sealant, and finally install the sleeve - making sure it's pushed hard up against the seal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jonathan Delancey on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 09:35 pm:

A screwdriver won't cut the rubber?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 09:43 pm:

I use the sleeve puller tool, that dia. and length is fine for pushing the seal home. Go slow so you don't roll the edge of that boot like seal.

Add a bit of silicone paste to glide the rubber boot seal, haven't used sealer on that butt end to the axle tube, but that is a good idea.

Using the 'back end' of the sleeve tool to push the seal into place, the tube like tool gives full contact to seat the seal flush.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jonathan Delancey on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 09:50 pm:

Thanks, this is helpful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 10:06 pm:

I put tape over the key slot so the edges do not cut the seal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 10:21 pm:

Also grease the axle shaft to help the seal slide in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 11:58 am:

Also mine get fully seated when I install the sleeves. You should not need a screwdriver or punch to seat them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 06:44 pm:

From the MTFCA book on Ruckstell Axles:

Axles prior to 1925 may need to be cut to have room for the seal. Ford went to a leather seal in 1925. If you have an early axle, measure the depth of the hole to make sure the sleeve will fit with the new seal. The depth was not controlled prior to 1925 so it may be long enough or not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 06:58 pm:

A screwdriver does not cut the seal because of the metal backing plate. I'm obsessive about oil leaks in this part of the car. I'm happy for a T to leak oil anywhere else, but just not there. So, I make sure it's seated with lots of sealant, then make sure the sleeve is in as far as it go, tapping with a hammer to make sure. Wise advice re taping the keyway. Sharp edges there that can cut the seal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 07:25 pm:

I would not to obsessed about the sleeve sticking out a little from the end of the axle tube esp if you are using the original felt seals, washers and cups. The original felt work fine in conjunction with the modern inner seal as long as you do not over grease the bearing. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 08:18 pm:

Jonathan,

If you do use a modern outer seal instead of the felt seal, make sure to glue it on with a little Loctite. The Loctite that is used to mount bushings will have the strongest hold. Otherwise they will spin and create all kinds of problems.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration