C-cab seat back install

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: C-cab seat back install
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 01:21 am:

How does the new repop piece for the metal cab hang the top of the seat back. I have the new seat back frame and cannot figure out how that it grabs a hold of the bracket that clamps between the upper back cab panels. Looks like a puzzle to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 07:02 am:

The upholstered seat back gets crimped into the upper mounting channel. The mounting channel is then sandwiched between the upper & lower panels on the back of the cab.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 12:37 pm:

Thanks Justin; do you mean that after the bracket is crimped to the seat that it becomes part of the seat? Then the only way to remove the seat is to undo the bolts that hold the strip between the back panels?
Is that right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 02:40 pm:

Fred, that is correct. I'll post some pictures later of my seat as it is was originally and how it looks today with new upholstery. I had to replace the piece in question and it is close to the original but has some differences.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 09:00 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 07:37 am:

I have a question from a friend. How is the seat back held in position at the BOTTOM? Many cabs have holes drilled in them located at the bottom corners but this is not the original way the seat back was mounted. He's still trying to figure this one out.

Thanks,
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 08:40 am:

Terry, after cleaning mine all up and looking at the bottom of the seat back I truly believe that it was not attached at all. There were no holes or clips that I could find. I put it back that way and the lower cushions hold it tightly in place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 11:59 am:

Justin your original seat back photo with the factory upper retainer/bracket is quite rare. It is the first one that I have ever seen.

After playing with mine, it looks as though the retainer could be installed between the panels then the finished seat back could be slipped underneath this retainer as the bottom of the seat is pushed back. The bottom seat cushions then will hold the back in place.

Does this sound reasonable?

Here are some pictures of the new parts with their relationship to each other.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 01:12 pm:

Fred, that may be a good solution to crimping it. I do believe that you need to face your seat frame the opposite direction as compared to how it is in the photos. The larger channel that goes around the perimeter is for crimping the upholstery in to.

I didn't realize you could buy a whole new frame. I used my old one and made my own seat cover. I can tell you that making and installing that back rest was one of the more frustrating parts of the project but I wanted it to be as close to original as possible. Virtually all of the ones that I see are wrong.

As a side note; it does seem that Ford may have changed from a smooth cover on the back rest to a pleated one in later years based on some factory and sales photos that I have seen.

Good luck with your project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 04:08 pm:

Thanks Justin I'll turn it around. I just needed someone that has done this before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 04:17 pm:

Justin,

That sure makes sense and I had thought about that exact method, but he swears there is/was something attaching the bottom on a TT he owned several years ago. He just can't remember.

Thank You,
Terry

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration