NOS Block

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: NOS Block
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 08:39 am:

I put this on the forum because I thought it was more of a conversation piece than a bargain.

Too bad the price is so high, it would look great in the shop at the museum.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Model-T-Ford-Block-New-in-Crate-1926-7/283069790269?has h=item41e846383d:g:H4oAAOSwlBZbVl3G&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Gregory on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 09:00 am:

I know of one that's been in a garage like that for at least 55 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 09:22 am:

I had a NOS block years ago, but not in the original crate. I sold it for less than that ebay price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 09:26 am:

Thats a bargain because everyone knows you get the floor boards with it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 10:27 am:

No thank you. I already have one and mine is newer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 10:44 am:

How does one find a 90+ year old block that isn't even finished?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 10:58 am:

I knew a guy who had an NOS T block, and the block was cracked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 11:01 am:

Hmmpph........looks identical to my 1918 block, which is DEFINITELY not new. After all the money I put into saving it, I'd have been better off with the Ebay block!

All part of the hobby thought.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 11:13 am:

GOOD ONE !! Dallas I recently had a "Ford Scholar" at a car show tell me the packing crate story. I was actually taught that in a transportation class in college it wasn't in the book, it was the professors comments.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 11:29 am:

You know, I just noticed..........none of the machining operations have been done! So, what you're buying is an "interesting" lump of cast iron that needs a couple thousand worth of machine work done!

Would make an interesting coffee table though.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 11:51 am:

Tom got that as a retirement gift. It was cast the day he started working for the Dodge Brothers :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 11:54 am:

The block shown above is not the one in the Ebay listing, which is a 26/27 block.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Weaver - Arthurdale, WV on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 12:44 pm:

Tom,

Is your block one of the ones that was cast for the new T's ford built for their centennial? - Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 12:50 pm:

Tom, I bet I know where you new old block came from,just as Matt said? Nice trophy piece after all the years of service! joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 02:02 pm:

Yes, Joe and Matt are correct. It's one of the T-100 blocks that has a thin wall around the water inlet and it wasn't machined up as a result.

And Ed, Seriously? Isn't it bad enough that I'm married to a former Dodge employee's daughter?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 02:43 pm:

Someone, someplace, must have an crated Nos T chassis sitting around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dodd on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 03:33 pm:

I have noticed that as time goes on, NOS parts that are not in their original packaging, or are not fully finished tend to be either defective or "seconds". I am learning to be rather cautious about buying NOS over good used.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 04:17 pm:

Well, Ok. Tom isn't really that old. I made that up. The block is actually an award from Ford's Garage in Dearborn. It seems that someone was the first to use the onion ring dispenser as a beer bong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin, Kannapolis, NC on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 05:34 pm:

Ed,That is some crate! I can't believe that they crated a large number of chassis. Seams to me that wouldn't be very cost effective. This may also have been before Ford built assembly plants all over the country. Wonder if it came with plans to cut the wood for a truck body?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 07:56 pm:

Daryl,

Where do you think TT beds came from? ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 08:31 pm:

Looks like the crate was for ocean shipping. With ocean shipping, you are charged on a "measurement ton" basis (except for really heavy stuff). That means you want to minimize the overall height, width and length of your shipment. My Army unit handled freight guidance for the entire Department of Defense. You wouldn't believe how much they saved on shipping by removing the exhaust stack on a road grader!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration