Engine block changes from mid 20s to late 20s?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Engine block changes from mid 20s to late 20s?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 11:27 am:

I have been searching for what changes Ford made to engine blocks from the mid 1920s (23-25) to the improved cars in 26 and 27?

Does anyone have any information on that?

Thanks,Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 11:35 am:

The easiest bit to spot is the two holes on the back of the block where the hogshead bolts up to it. Then later on when vaporizer carbs became standard they stopped knocking out the hole between cylinders 2 & 3.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 11:35 am:

*somehow I forgot to mention that my post above refers to 1926-1927 blocks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 11:43 am:

I was asking more along the lines of structural improvements? Like better bearings, thicker castings and such.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 11:59 am:

I kinda figured, but you said 'any' and I picked off the easy ones. I'd be kind of interested in the structural things too, if any.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 01:41 pm:

See pages 491-494 in the encyclopedia for lists of engine changes (block, head, bolts, crank, etc.).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 05:21 pm:

I don't know about USA blocks but 26/27 Canadian ones seem to crack a lot easier, around and in the valve ports.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 08:50 pm:

James,

Some information is also available on his CD as well as the online encyclopedia.

Go to: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/index.htm and scroll down to Engine and click on Engine Block. There are many additional small details to help you determine what type engine you have under the other engine items - see also Engine Specifications etc.

And for some of the details on the engine assembly check the details listed by calendar year for 1923 to 1927 you can start at 1923 and hit forward to the next year see:

Note those are the major changes that are listed. The minor changes would have been annotated on a card that described the change, but a new drawing would not be needed. If you are really interested in that level of detail (structural improvements? Like better bearings, thicker castings and such) I would recommend you visit the Benson Ford Research Library/Archives and request to look at the Record of Change cards for the block etc. And also to look at the factory drawings, as changes can be annotated on either of those items. If you go in person the cost is very low, but it looks like you are a little under 5 hours away. That is a lot of driving - possible hotel etc. You can also pay them to do look up the information and scan/Xerox it and forward it to you for a fee. See: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/792386.html for additional details about visiting or hiring the Archive folks to look something up for you.

Good luck with you search -- and please consider writing a short article etc. on what you find.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 09:29 pm:

Thanks for the direction, guys! I'll start looking around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 01:35 pm:

James

Sent you a PM .

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration