Modern Crank seal

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Modern Crank seal
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randall Strickland, Lambsburg Va on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 01:13 pm:

Any you fellows glued the modern seal to timing cover and used a modern aluminum crank pulley that has bolt that tighten for a worn crank? Not enough room with the seal I got from Langs, just wondering if some of the other seals has a shorter lip
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randall Strickland, Lambsburg Va on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 01:25 pm:

The seal lip protrudes .300.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randall Strickland, Lambsburg Va on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 01:29 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 02:14 pm:

Yes, it might be a little tight. I believe I removed a bit of material from the pulley for clearance on mine just in case.

I'll check a couple of different seals that I have.

Nice picture of a daisy seal flower BTW!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 02:28 pm:

Randall, check out some other seals.

I think Chaffin sells a SKF seal #11740 and I have a CR 12458 that is close to .200" wide!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randall Strickland, Lambsburg Va on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 02:52 pm:

thanks Gene I tried cr12458 and i.d was a little to big I'll try the skf thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 03:27 pm:

The CR seal has a pretty good fit on my crank, It maybe a bit too large but it doesn't take much.

There must be quite a selection by looking online sites. I've FOUND THE Timken web site is very good to research sizes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis K Anderson on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 04:42 pm:

After pushing 2 felt seals in the grove under the crank, using a model "A" rope seal in the top of the crank, and gluing a modern seal to the outside, I still get oil out the front of the crank. I have one of those high volume outside oilers.
Dennis K Anderson
Maryville Tn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 06:31 pm:

I used the rope seal from Lang's, part number 3012R when I re did my engine. No leaks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 12:13 pm:

Dennis, I believe yours is the first time I've heard of the modern seal leaking. I suspect possibly the engine surface wasn't cleaned oil free, the seal might have been fit a little better, or you didn't use Permatex Ultra Black or the Right Stuff. Possible surface pits or damage could also be an issue.

These modern seals do an amazing job of preventing the oil seeping around the crank shaft. Even if the shaft area is not perfect condition they still work magic most of the time.

Sorry to hear you weren't successful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randall Strickland, Lambsburg Va on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 01:14 pm:

I also have the A rope seal and have used them with success,just thought while pulley was off would try modern also, couldn't hurt

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration