What Was The Formula Including ATF for Penetrating Oil?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: What Was The Formula Including ATF for Penetrating Oil?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 04:08 pm:

A while back, there was a post about making your own penetrating oil.

I believe one of the ingredients was ATF, but I don't remember the other(s).

I want to make some up; any help in the ingredients list is appreciated.

Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JOHN BEVARDOS on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 04:11 pm:

acetone

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 04:17 pm:

50-50 mix of acetone and trans fluid but have never read or heard of it making any difference of the type of trans fluid as in F or Mercon or whatever.
Shake often.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 04:17 pm:

John;

Is it a 1 to 1 mixture?

Are there any additional ingredients?

Any preferred type of ATF? c

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 04:26 pm:

Kroil - The penetrating oil that creeps!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 05:03 pm:

No, it's not 1 to 1. Only 50/50 will work. :-)

ATF currently sold is advertised as being for Mercon, Dexron, and other applications.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 05:08 pm:

Thank you, all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 05:24 pm:

If your going to use it on a Model T Ford you have to use FOMOCO ATF with acetone.

Anything else would be a sin!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 09:40 pm:

Found a video on fordbarn about this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONJjpfy9vvs
Some brands mix readily with acetone, others do not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 11:25 pm:

MEK can also be added to the ATF and Acetone mix.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brass TT on Sunday, August 05, 2018 - 09:48 pm:

I assume that by MEK, you mean MEKP ?, that is used as a catalyst in Polyester resins, glues, body fillers (Bondo/Bog ) and has a very destinctive aroma ??
A highly DANGEROUS chemical, The tinyist splash can blind you in seconds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Monday, August 06, 2018 - 11:15 pm:

Methyl Ethyl Ketone. A thinner. Or is it an alyphatic?... I don't remember. Too much exposure perhaps?
Prolly won't blind you. I'd been splashed with a catalyzed primer (not MEK) once. OWW! Wash wash wash! Now!
Needed glasses before, still need them.
Anything other than acetone for the mixing agent? Or is that suggested as it might mix with the ATF?
I tried a mix of ATF and some thinner I had here and they hated each other! I thought I had water in there!

(Message edited by duey_c on August 06, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 09:41 am:

Methyl ethyl ketone peroxide. Is "MEK" the same or a different compound minus some oxygen ? Better living (or not) through chemistry. Back to the original question, ATF and acetone 50/50 is the recipe. Lacquer thinner contains acetone and other stuff. Just like cooking, if you want consistent results, don't change the recipe. Too many kooks spoil the brothel. I tried it, can't rave on results, but the acetone and ATF I used mixed easily and did not separate. One thing, acetone evaporates at light speed - from its own container and from the mix. If not kept tightly sealed, all you'll have very soon is ATF. Not the sort of stuff you can soak parts on unless they are sealed up air tight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 09:46 am:

It is my understanding that the purpose of the acetone is only to thin the ATF so that it can penetrate and get down inside the places it needs to get down inside of. After that the acetone is no longer needed. If it evaporates after application, no harm is done. Keep your mix in a tightly sealed container until use. Seal the remainder back up as soon as you are done applying it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 12:39 pm:

To add to what Hal D. just said, I purchased a semi-opaque plastic bottle that works very well. If I remember correctly (???) I think I purchased it at Rite-Aid, but any good kitchen supply store will probably have something similar. Mine is exactly like the read ketchup squeeze bottles (or the yellow mustard one) that you see at all the fast food places. It not only works well to apply the mixture accurately, but it has the little cap that fits down tightly over the semi-pointed end of the spout to prevent evaporation of the acetone during storage. FWIW,....harold

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration