Iím torn over MMO

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Iím torn over MMO
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 10:09 pm:

Iíve seen the ingredients and from a rational point of view I canít see how Marvel Mystery Oil can do anything in my fuel tank. On the other hand, I had a sticking intake valve and instead of a complex engine rebuild I thought at eight bucks a bottle of MMO canít be the worst thing to try.

Now Iíve run a couple tanks with MMO and a couple without and I swear the car runs better with it. I wonder if thereís some easy way to test whether it has any effect at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 10:12 pm:

Waaaiiit for it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 10:25 pm:

So your saying it must have worked or at least it made the engine run better. There are folks who will rant and rave and swear it's nothing but snake oil. Then there's folks folks who say it does make your engine run better.
I wouldn't use it in a T's oil but in the gas tank it won't hurt a thing.
It's worked for me in my 54 NAA ford tractor. It did smooth the engine up and I still use it every other tank fill up.
The valves would occasionally stick and it stopped that.
All I know it worked for me. Others will definitely have other opinions for sure. They always do when MMO comes up on the forum!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 10:31 pm:

And we're off.........................Snake oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin, Kannapolis, NC on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 10:57 pm:

I take a cap full every morning. Keeps me regular.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Boe on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 11:06 pm:

Am I the only guy that kind of likes the smell of MMO? I guess that it just brings back memories of my childhood. I use it religiously btw.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 11:11 pm:

Frees up sticks rings too, if you let it soak for a few days. The bottle says to mix 4oz with 10 gals of gas. On my car ir sort of bogs down a little so I only use 2 oz per 10 on my car.
When I had a rind issue a friend of mine said to try it out with a table spoon in each bore and hand crank it over for a couple of days and put the rest of the bottle in the oil. After three days fired it up and after 3 mins smoke was gone and not burning anymore oil (smoke). Changed oil after 50 miles. Rest is history. This is snake oil that helps with engines that have sat for many years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 11:11 pm:

I had occasional sticking valve problems with my small general aviation airplane. Started adding MMO to the gas to keep the valve stems a little oily. Never had another stuck valve.

Then a few years ago a friend who had been a motorcycle mechanic suggested that I use two-stroke oil instead of MMO. That seems to work well also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 11:19 pm:

Tim, do whatever you want with MMO, its your car and won't hurt anything other than other people's feelings here. I used it on an engine that sat for almost 30 years, and it really seemed to help loosen things up. I would probably advise against over-using it though, as it has a tendency to foul the plugs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 11:51 pm:

I have not used MMO in a long time, but for many years I have been adding about 1/2oz of ATF, per gallon of fuel.

I can clearly hear and feel the difference when I add ATF.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 12:24 am:

You know why 2 strokes need oil in the gas, right?
Same principal applies. Sticky valves suddenly gain lubrication with a fine oil mist. So would the upper cylinder.
No shame in saying you use MMO in your fuel. There is a perfectly sensible explanation for why you might want to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 01:15 am:

I use it in all my water pumps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 03:59 am:

I like the tins it comes in.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 05:20 am:

I use it to take up space on my shelf...it's a pretty color. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 06:53 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 07:38 am:

I'm with Steve. I imagine it does a lot of miracles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 07:39 am:

I'll never understand why people hate this stuff so bad. I don't use it as a matter of course, but I do keep it around. I use if for air tool oil mostly, but if I had a sticky valve, I wouldn't think twice about using it. If it helps, I just saved a ton of money, work and frustration. I've heard SEVERAL people say it freed up a sticky valve. Way too many for there not to be something to it. Purists get a bad reputation for telling people not to modify their antique cars, but some people get bent out of shape when someone else wants to add a little MMO to their fuel tank. The very worst thing that could happen is that they are out a few bucks. You won't hear me speak ill of anyone for using it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 07:42 am:

I tried adding a little MMO to my 1927 touring engine oil; made the brake band chatter severely the last few feet before stopping. Took several oil changes to resolve that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 08:04 am:

I personally don't hate MMO, however, I do take issue with the proliferation of misinformation.

No one on this thread or anywhere in the world can present definitive proof that MMO does anything for an engine or transmission.

Oil additives are not the cure for "sticky valves" or other engine ailments. If you have problems with your engine or transmission it's just foolish believe that adding mineral oil will solve your issues.

I've come to recognize how some folks enjoy the placebo effect of using it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 08:40 am:

I use it in every tank. Just remember to use the correct amount. Too much will reduce your horsepower considerably.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 09:29 am:

I love Mystery oil. I use it in my air tools, and it's a good penetrating oil. I have used it to free up at least two stuck engines. I'm not a big believer in gas and oil additives for automobiles - especially the Model T, where the engine oil circulates through the transmission.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 09:55 am:

Quote O.P.: "Now Iíve run a couple tanks with MMO and a couple without and I swear the car runs better with it. I wonder if thereís some easy way to test whether it has any effect at all."

Yes, there is. Hook up a vacuum gauge and observe its operation running both with and without MMO. If your valves go back to sticking without, it will be readily apparent on the vacuum gauge.

If your valves are sticking, they are sticking for reasons other than lack of MMO and you really ought to just do a valve job. It's not that complex.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 09:59 am:

We were way overdue for one of these threads, thanks! :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 10:06 am:

Well if someone has read the ingredients, why not post them? Why leave it a mystery?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Humphrey on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 10:08 am:

Thanks John, That's where I use it also... in all my air tools..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 10:20 am:

Tim

since mineral oil is primarily used as a laxative, it is no wonder you have never heard of it be beneficial to an automobile engine.

Fortunately, Marvel Mystery Oil contains no mineral oil.

I have personally used it on two "T"s that each had a perpetually sticking valve once the engine was hot. After many miles of sporadic trouble and many efforts of mechanically tapping the valve closed, 1 tank of fuel with some MMO solved the problem. Forever (to date). No head needed to be pulled, no valves pulled to clean the stems, not a placebo effect. Just empirical results. I do not use it where there is no cause to.

If it is OK to malign people who have used a product successfully and call them "suckers", then what word might be used for someone who has admittedly never used a product but "knows" it has no useful purpose?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 10:27 am:

Tim,

Adding it to the gasoline, not the oil, is where people are seeing the difference in their valves.

If it removes some crud from the valve stem of an engine that has been sitting up and allows the valve to function properly from then on, then what's the harm and why are people who have seen a valve free up after adding it only experiencing a placebo effect? I don't advocate using it in every tank, but I'd damn sure try it if I had a sticking valve, before I pulled an engine down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 10:29 am:

Dang Scott. We think alike.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 10:31 am:

We think

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 10:33 am:

Even snakes need some lubrication now and then !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 10:36 am:

Scott,

Thank you for backing me up and proving that no one has definitive proof that MMO does anything...

I never ever said it does any harm and it does contain mineral oil...

"It is composed primarily of petroleum distillates, including mineral oil (60-100%), mineral spirits {10-30%}, tricresyl phosphate (an antiwear and extreme pressure additive in lubricants, 0.1-1.0%), ortho dichlorobenzene (a softening and removing agent for carbon-based contamination on metal surfaces, 0.1-1.0%), and para dichlorobenzene (a precursor used in the production of chemically and thermally resistant polymers, <0.1%)."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 10:47 am:

Yup, all it needs is some MMO and good to go!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 11:08 am:

The only proof I have that it works is using it twice for a specific purpose and it performed the exact job I expected of it. I don't see how that shows that no one has proof of it working.

I don't know where you got your quote from, but the MSDS shows:

Naphthenic Hydrocarbons 70-80%
Mineral Spirits 20-30%
Chlorinated Hydrocarbons 0-1%

BTW, if you refer to your quote, you will see that it contains trace amounts of an ortho dichlorobenzene (the chlorinated hydrocarbon in the msds) that removes carbon (like on valve stems). You, sir, have supplied the missing link as to why this product worked on my two jobs. Thank you.

Now, your original statement of mineral oil covers a lot of ground. If you really meant Naphthenic Hydrocarbons, you should have said so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 11:20 am:

Science !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 11:51 am:

Hmm... I wonder if the people who claim it's worthless run their 2 strokes on straight gasoline?
I can't get it in my country but if i could, I'd probably buy it for the can. And maybe the smell it'd give my exhaust.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 12:18 pm:

Interesting that people are laughed at, made fun of, insulted and ridiculed for adding MMO to their gasoline, and/or oil, however, the various brands of gasoline companies supposedly add various combinations of "additives" to their gasoline, and nobody ever questions that, or even gives it any thought. And, in the same vane, there are people who actually believe that using the more costly "PREMIUM" gasoline (in modern cars as well as antique cars) instead of the less expensive "REGULAR" actually think they are doing their engine some good, even though their particular engine doesn't need "PREMIUM" gasoline, even as per their particular vehicles "owners manual" that came with their modern vehicles.

And by the way, in my opinion, the petroleum industry has managed to "fool" quite a large percentage of the public into believing that "PREMIUM" gasoline is "better" for their car, by introducing the term "premium" which "suggests" higher quality fuel. Back in the '50's or so, there were only two terms used to refer to gasoline,....."eythl" or "regular". But nowadays, many people are duped into believing that "regular" gasoline is in some way, inferior to "PREMIUM". So, why not stop ridiculing the folks that use MMO and pick on the "suckers" that throw their money away by buying the more expensive "PREMIUM" gasoline for cars that absolutely don't need it!

Okay,.....sorry about the "soapbox" thing,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 12:19 pm:

The two friends of my Model T's gas tanks. Use MMO every tank full. MMO has been around since 1923, what other additive has lasted that long? I know the reason :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 12:22 pm:

Well,....one more little "jab" I should have included in my "epistle" above,....."Chevron with Techron",.....yeah, that's for me for sure!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 12:40 pm:

I add seven drops of GL-70 per tank. It keeps my exhaust delightfully fresh.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 12:54 pm:

I've used it as I posted in one of the earlier threads with positive results. Should a situation arise in which I think it would help, I would certainly use it again. If someone doesn't think it can be beneficial I couldn't care less.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni Fredericksburg, VA on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 01:12 pm:

I think the PREMIUM Gas issue is the octane level. In the old days the octane was much higher than today. You can of course tune your older car down to compensate for the low octane or add some race gas "110". Most modern cars can compensate the timing with computers so most gas will work. I do run PREMIUM in my 64 Imperial, 67 Charger, and 69 Superbee. I know you all knew that already but it was fun to type it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 01:15 pm:

I think if your spending for it and [You] think it works that should make the rest of [US] happy!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 02:33 pm:

You can find MMO in most stores next to these items:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 02:44 pm:

$10 says if Tim got a stuck valve, he'd try it before he pulled his damned engine and he'd never tell a soul.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 02:48 pm:

Tim needs a hobby. Oh - wait !! This is it, ain't it ?!?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 02:49 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 06:51 pm:

Ever see videos of old race cars running, or still photos for that matter. I am talking 100 years ago. The thought then was to put oil in with the gasoline. 1 gallon of oil for each 10 gallons of gasoline. Made for a wonderful grey smog coming out the exhaust pipe. OK if you were in the lead but bad if you were in the middle of the pack, especially if everyone was running caster oil. Talk about loosening up those valves, or is it bowels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 07:34 pm:

I put a cup in my 1927 T oil years ago.

That made the bands so slick that the brake was totally worthless.

Fortunately, I found that out when I was not tail gateing anyone!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 07:53 pm:

For once...I AGREE with Hal Davis !!!!! LOL !!

MMO frees sticking valves in the guides and also works wonders for hydrolic lifters in modern engines.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 08:11 pm:

Tim

I purchased my '23 from 34 years of storage in FL, under a shed that was open on 3 sides.

I got the engine running and puttered around for weeks with it...however, each time, once the engine got to or very near ultimate temperature, #3 intake valve would stick open with obvious results of lame running. The only remedy was to drive the valve closed through the spark plug hole and there was no indication that it was going to cure itself.

According to you, I wasted my $ on about 6 Oz of MMO which when added to the fuel, shortly resulted in the valve sticking only intermittently when at temperature and ultimately cured the problem completely that same day. On the second day, the valve stuck perhaps 5-10 times, and ceased to stick from then on. No further doping of the fuel ever occurred. I drove the car perhaps 20 times after that over the next year, before beginning restoration of the body. I would estimate those drives accounted for about 200 miles and during those drives, the engine ran beautifully.

Now, 5 years later, the body is repaired and the engine has been refreshed due to the fact that the magneto never worked. Inspection showed all valve stems were clean and slightly loose in their guides. There was no hint of binding on any valves.

Pray tell, what would you have done that would have been cheaper or more effective for this particular car? I know that I will not be the only person waiting anxiously for the answer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 08:34 pm:

I can't understand why some folks flip out about MMO not being any good using it to help free up sticking valves. What causes raised eyebrows and indigestion for the naysayers is the term 'Marvel Mystery' in the name of the product. If it was named engine valve cleaner or something similar nobody would say a word.

The Ford tractor I use it in had a couple of gummed up valves that I occasionally used WD40 to spray on the stems when I cocked up the valve cover to get to them. But that was 30-40 years ago and after a engine rebuild and after sitting up a while after occasional use the MMO works just just fine just by using it in the gas tank. All I know the stuff does work for me and I'm not going to worry about trying to disprove that it doesn't. For engines that have a common engine sump oil for clutches or bands I wouldn't use it. Years ago I thought that It might slick thing up to much but in gas it's fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 08:48 pm:

Years ago I had a 1979 Olds 98 with a 350 engine that burned oil with blue smoke out the exhaust. My father told me to try some MMO in the oil. The engine soon stopped blowing blue smoke. We eventually figured that the MMO softened the valve seals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 09:36 pm:

This conversation has become way too informative and civil for my liking, so here, let me add this pic. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Macleod on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 10:20 pm:

I had a lawn mower given to me with a seized engine. I tried a soak in MMO. To my complete amazement it was free 3 days later. The mower is still running three years later. I personally wouldn't put it in a good engine but a throw away? What do you have to lose?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 11:45 pm:

Steve, where did you purchase your supply of GL70?

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 11:50 pm:

Steve, where did you purchase your supply of GL70?

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 11:57 pm:

Thanks for reminding me ... I used to put MMO my last Ts tank and in the oil. Iíll get some this weekend. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 12:23 am:

Allan, all Montgomery Ward stores carry it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 02:27 am:

Steve, we don't have Montgomery Ward stores in Australia. Do you know if USPS will allow it to be posted if I order some?

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 07:47 am:

Keep the responses coming guys! The last MMO thread which I proudly started, got up to a record 107 posts. We're only at 59 here so far and the MMO fans appear to be with winning!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 07:56 am:

I actually have two GALLONS of Marvel Mystery Oil.....a new plastic jug and an original steel can with good labels.

I use them for display in my shop. Never occurred to me that it could actually be used for something else....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 08:06 am:

Just kidding. They went out of business in 2001.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 09:26 am:

BTT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 04:22 pm:

Well I guess I'm doing a 180. Being that there has been so much definitive, factual, scientific and undisputable evidence posted on this thread in regards to MMO's ability to restore engines I have thrown away all my tools pertaining to engine work.

Thanks everyone for the documented proof...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 04:55 pm:

Hey Tim, it is that kind of mr knowitall attitude that keeps you from learning. No one has suggested that MMO or any other gas additive is a replacement of good maintenance. But there are products available that will lessen the requirement for mechanical maintenance if they are used as a preventative. I would bet you use oil inyour crank case, you should not have to do that because you can just rebuild the engine after every drive. The only people who are 100% sure that MMO will not help are the ones unwilling to try it.
Personally, I have never used it as I have found a better product that has had remarkable results, but people like you tell me I am stupid and am lying. I have no problem with you never finding out how well it works, but you are doing a disservice to other by pretending to be an expert.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 05:08 pm:

The only problem i have seen with it was once when i followed a model A in a parade.Some one had used too much and the A was pumping out a heavy blue haze! Not my car or money so to each their owne.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin, Kannapolis, NC on Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 05:31 pm:

Come on guys, 15 million Model T's on the road, and less than 20 guys that don't use MMO? You are going to have to do better than that to convince the other 14,999,980 of use not to use it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 05:33 pm:

I use it on the rat snake around the barn. It moves faster with a liberal application.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 06:50 pm:

Tim

you never gave me the advice I asked for on 8/3 @ 8:11.

Unlike yourself, I work on these things every day and am always willing to learn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 07:33 pm:

(OT) Not a model T but a 65 year old International Harvester gas-start Diesel engine. Sticky/stuck high pressure plunger/plungers in the Diesel injection pump.
Put a cup or so in the final fuel filter canister, restart the engine and in a few minutes that plunger will pump again.
It will once again stop pumping if the old/stale Diesel fuel isn't changed for fresh or treated with 5% or two cycle oil.. Been there, done that this summer.
MMO worked. Best darned snake oil I've ever used!
MMO has it's place and I certainly believe the fellows who have used it for cleaning sticky valve stems are correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 09:19 pm:

Wisconsin V-4 engines were notorious for sticking valves when they were laid by. I fought with one on a Freeman baler 30 years ago. Neighbor told me to use MMO in the fuel. Following season valves were free, it started right up without a battle - first time ever. I don't live by it, haven't used it in my Model T, but it DOES noticeably solve some problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 09:37 pm:

Never used MMO but have used 2 cycle oil many times with good results and recommend using it on a fresh rebuild. I also have had sticky valves and 2 cycle oil has fixed that. Today I started a rotor-tiller that has been sitting for probably 15 years with gas in it. Cleaned everything out and put gas in the cylinder then 2 cycle oil in the tank. Got it running with lots of smoke and it settled right down.

No reason to have such a fit about MMO when it obviously helps valve stems that are sticky. If I was on a mission it would not be about MMO, it would be about that JB weld cure that is on here often...glue on a metal structure, fix with metal and welding. Glue is for wood.

Tim Moore

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration