Finding model T engine DOM

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Finding model T engine DOM
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis. Tomball Texas on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 12:01 am:

Trying to find when engine # 15,123,174 was made. it is in a TT which is said to be all original. My chart shows the engine was built after the official 1927 production run stopped. How do You determine DOM. I understand Ford built the model T engines long after the model t was replaced by the model A ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 12:16 am:

T engines were built until sometime in 1941.
TT trucks were also built after spring of 27.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 01:09 am:

Serial numbers are listed in Bruce McCalley's Model T Encyclopedia. That one is July, 1928.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis. Tomball Texas on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 01:43 am:

Thanks. For the information Aaron and Steve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Palmisano on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 09:08 am:

If it is all original the same numbers should be stamped on the top of the passenger side frame rail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 01:06 pm:

Or check the driver's frame rail! Suspect the engine number stamper guy could cross over to the other side of the assembly line too :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 08:47 pm:

Jim the Enclosed TTs were built at least until December 1927 one of which I have. The C-cab production ceased in August 1926.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 09:29 pm:

Jim,

This is definitely one where we would like to know if the engine really was original to the chassis or not and if the chassis was assembled at one of the regular Ford Plants (either the main plant or a branch assembly plant).

A lot can change over the previous 90 or so years. But if the frame number and engine number agree -- then it is the beginning of a potential great story. At that point I would encourage you to check out other items -- such as the longer running boards it would have etc.

I know of other cars that were thought to be totally original but investigation showed they had actually been modified / repaired way back in the day. And if the replacement was done back in 1928 -- it would probably look like the engine had been there the entire time.

Looking forward to what you discover.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 12:39 pm:

Fred, Thank you for the information on what months the TT Closed Cab and C Cabs were built through.

I must ask though on the C Cabs, did you mean August, 1926, or 1927? Just wondering. Also, Might I ask where you found that information?

Every little bit of TT information helps.....

Thanks, Keith

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration