Front Roller Bearing Wear

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Front Roller Bearing Wear
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Arthur Babitz on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 12:55 pm:

When respoking my front wheels I noticed the right side races/cups were worn-- outside more than inside. Left side cups had definite wear but not pitted. I decided since everything was disassembled it was a good time to replace all four cups.

When I inspected the roller bearings themselves I could only find pitting on the outer right side (which matched the worst pitted cup). My question is: should I also replace all the other roller bearing assemblies, even if they look good to me? They're not cheap, but I also don't want to ever replace these new cups again.

And when I say the roller bearing assemblies look good, I'm not exactly trained in what to look for. The rollers look shiny and smooth under a magnifier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 01:09 pm:

Long ago when i was a heavy truck mechanic for Uncle Sam we would wash all the grease out and if the rollers were very loose in their cages we replaced both cup and bearing.Of course we never dried the bearings with a air hose.Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Sunday, August 05, 2018 - 05:39 am:

Arthur buying a bearing set would probably be more advantageous price-wise than getting just the races. The bearing doesn't wear only the races, the rollers and cages wear also, the amount of wear is not readily apparent to the eye but is usually there. If in doubt for peace of mind I would replace them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Hoffer on Sunday, August 05, 2018 - 06:44 am:

Replace all of it, rollers, races and seals, and you are done. Use good grease, too. Cheers, Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, August 05, 2018 - 09:22 am:

The best prices I've found are here: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,1923,model+t,2.9l+177cid+l4,952072,brak e+&+wheel+hub,wheel+bearing,1672.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Clements on Monday, August 06, 2018 - 12:55 am:

I recently ordered everything from Rockauto. All four bearings, races and both seals with shipping, cost me $185.42.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Monday, August 06, 2018 - 01:08 am:

What is your opinion of the bearings made in China. They are a bunch cheaper. My theory is: 'you get what U pay for."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Monday, August 06, 2018 - 02:43 am:

Steve, are these outers threaded like original (the representative picture in the web site is a standard bearing).
Those prices look interesting!

The freight makes the deal for me as the 'main' vendors are just plain greedy with absurd freight charges for even small packages to New Zealand.

I would say their freight charge alone has sent my business to other suppliers. I am surprised how low other suppliers go with freight/postage while the "main" vendors have standard charges and won't even discuss them.

Oh well, I guess that is how a free market works....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Clements on Monday, August 06, 2018 - 11:08 am:

Yes, Timken 09075 and 09076 are the correct threaded front outer bearings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, August 06, 2018 - 11:31 am:

The last time I got Timkens from Rock Auto they were Canadian.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 12:38 am:

I've found I've been living under a rock for the last 30 some years but I sure wish these suppliers would update their web photos of the outer bearing and show what it actually is.
Are these RH and LH threaded cones really only used on the model T? Surely they may have had some other application?
I must also admit at under $200, I really should stock up for the uber future. I'd like my great grand kids to be stocked with some parts. ;-)
If this country can't supply, Canada certainly would be the very next best. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 01:07 am:

Duey.
I had some RH & LH ones that were in John Deere box's but what model I don't know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 11:44 pm:

Thanks for that Frank! I appreciate it. I should stop at the John Deere shop and ask it backwards just to see what JD models... :-)
Model T parts locally would be a neat thing. That darned green paint costs more.
Arthur, it's amazing to see how much the rollers (or balls in a ball unit) can wear after use or be deformed if installed and things are not correct.
Granted not a T roller bearing statement. I played with some expensive little ball units from china and found the balls to be about "as soft as butter" in a way.
If a bore on an idler was a thou under sized the balls would deform and... Not a smooth turn.
Some industrial bearing fellows now trust chinese (they don't deserve capital letters) bearings but I sure am not there yet.
If ya got the $$$, replace it all. If ya gotta wait a bit, clean it up and use till then but replace. I need to check the 3 T's that live here.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration