Clear brass protection

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Clear brass protection
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 05:23 pm:

Has anyone ever tried using liquid floor wax as a protective coating on their polished brass?

My wife was waxing the floors with a liquid floor wax called, Quick Shine (Heavy Traffic) Hardwood Floor Wax by Holloway House, from Walmart. I was marveling that, once it is dry, it is super hard, crystal clear and lasts for months under the most abusive conditions.

I was thinking that this might be the perfect protection for polished brass, that wont fog the finish up like lacquers do and it would be much easier than solvent based coatings, to apply. Next time I polish some brass, Im going to give it a try. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 05:27 pm:

You may want to test it on a small piece first to see what it looks like and then do a UV sunlight test to see if it can take the elements.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 05:27 pm:

The big question for me would be how hard it is to remove when the need inevitably arises.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 05:30 pm:

Sounds good, plus if it doesn't work out, you can use it as a dessert topping! :-)

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/shimmer-floor-wax/n8625

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 07:05 pm:

Good idea Denny.

Steve. Floor wax is much easier to remove than lacquer. There are wax removers on the market to remove old wax from floors in preparation for re-waxing. Just wipe it on and it dissolves the wax. I know this because when I was in High School, I worked for a big Super Market and we had to wax the all ten of the long aisles every month, which entailed mopping on wax remover and mopping up the residue. It worked good. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Hoffer on Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 08:27 am:

What an interesting thought! I keep my linoleum shop floor clean and shiny with Zep floor polish, sealer, and heavy duty stripper (all from Lowes), but I never thought of putting it on polished brass. I will test it out. Zep stripper melts wax like magic. Thanks for the suggestion Jim! Cheers, Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 09:04 am:

Thank you Bill. Please keep us posted. I, for one, would be interested in your findings. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 11:58 am:

Jim P . I read your article about Clear brass protection with great interest.
I was looking on the webb site, but there they talk about [Hard wood Floor Luster ] Is that the same as Hard wood Floor wax . ??
As we live in the Netherlands , I hope I can buy the same .
Thanks

Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 12:40 pm:

Make sure the wax stripper doesn't react badly with polished brass first !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 03:12 pm:

Good question Anthony, but Im not sure. In America, I have only ever heard floor wax being referred to as floor wax. Never floor luster, but it may be referred to as floor luster in other countries, just like American cookies are called biscuits in Australia and England. But, it is also possible that floor luster is floor cleaner. Whatever you get, you definitely want to get floor wax, which hardens to a clear hard protective finish. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 03:27 pm:

Jim P . thanks for your answer .
But is it possible to make a picture of your [bottle ] and send it to me , or to the Forum ,so that I can see how the bottle look.
Thanks for your help
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 03:39 pm:

Another suggestion: clear coat powder coat. The hardest thing for me to polish is the brass glass windshield channel in my 14. So I polished it to a high luster and used white cotton gloves to give it to the powder coater. 6 years later and it still looks as I had originally polished. Cant use this procedure with any brass with solder joints like cowl lamps or radiator. But Ive used it on headlamp bonnets and rims.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 04:53 pm:

Floor wax will not kill the UV rays. It will turn color and cloud up. The good news is that it will clean up easy.

I have always used "automotive clear coat" will excellent results. The clear coat has UV protection and it will not cloud or discolor.

I recently have heard of powder coat clear. My question is due to the 400+ degrees to get it to harden will that discolor the brass during the baking process.

Just askin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 04:55 pm:

Toon. Well, I'll be derned! It IS called "Floor Luster"! Sorry, but my last answer was totally misleading. The bottle reads "Holloway House Quick Shine, High Traffic, HARDWOOD Floor Luster". You had it right the first time. Jim Patrick

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration