Sediment bowl screen crimping

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Sediment bowl screen crimping
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 07:19 am:

I see a lot of old threads where guys say the screen is crimped in instead of soldered. Does anyone have a picture of how this is done? The new screen I got from Langs is cut perfectly so it is pushed down into the outlet nut snugly. Im wondering if it fits so nicely does it even need to be soldered, or I can crimp it if showed how. Thanks
Doug

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 07:33 am:

This one has a brass ring pressed in to hold it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 08:13 am:

If the brass ring is still in yours, it makes a perfect surface to which a new screen can be soldered. Otherwise, new cast iron needs to be tinned first. Not all that difficult on new iron.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 09:22 am:

Steve

Are you sure that is brass ring? Have seen the factory solder look like that, a nice rounded ridge of solder.

To repair, melt out most of the factory solder ring, if you can leave some to tin the brass nut makes the new solder stick OK. Most times the factory solder is gone after a good wire brush wheel on the nut and threads to clean it up.

The solder is needed as the T will shake and wiggle, the gas sediment bulb too, and a loose wire screen will find it's way to get in a bad place :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 09:34 am:

My bad. I was thinking ring because it looks too neat for solder and you can see the edge of the mesh sticking out on the sides.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Juhl on Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 10:39 am:

Hmmm.... I'm an old radio Ham and am used to rosin core solder and a soldering gun which I doubt this is.

What kind of solder do you use and do you apply it with an iron or a small torch?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 11:05 am:

I have found that if you buy enough old sediment bulbs, sooner or later you will find one with a good screen. They can be soaked in carburetor cleaner and dried out. I have used compressed air to blow out the residue with careful digging, being careful not to mess up the screen. I also have been very fortunate in finding NOS originals.
Steve may be onto something here. The retainer could be a pressed in part. It's worth looking into! If that's the case, then it would end the screen problems if someone were able to make that part.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 12:41 pm:

If you are doing to solder do it with the correct tools....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 03:08 pm:

Tim

Rather easy with solid core 40/60 solder. My work won't win prize, but good enough to retain the screen and keep particles from coming around the rim!

Craftsman 45 watt pencil gun, would be a bit more fun with a hotter gun.

A torch will run the solder so fast it can fill up the threads on that nut, then you have more work ahead :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 07:11 pm:

After a closer look at the outlet cap I noticed there was that ring Steve talked about and a very small groove under it that the screen fit into. I made sure the screen was completely under the ring and put the cap in a vice and crimped the edge of the ring down against the screen with a small punch in a couple of spots. That's better than soldering it

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration