Changing Tires and Flaps

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Changing Tires and Flaps
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 08:31 am:

Had a persistent leaky tube in the back left tire last week. Patched the tube and then it sprung a slow leak in another location. So I bought two new tubes and flaps (for both rear tires). Had never installed a flap before and it was really easy. Also itís so much easier to remove and reinstall a clincher tire on a demountable rim when itís hot out. Like the idea of the flap and it made mounting the tire on the rim with irons easier with that thick rubber barrier in there. Drove all week .. itís fine. Will eventually get them in all the tires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 09:58 am:

Flaps almost always get a lot of comment. I have them in my '27, but there's a lot here who believe in tape or other ways to accomplish the same thing. I wouldn't leave home without them...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Bocchi on Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 11:04 am:

Mark,
Changed four tires last spring. New tires with new tubes and flaps. Not the a purist way. Held pressure for a year with little drop off. That being said, I have a mounted tire from the 40's still holding inflation with that good old forties air.
Charles (Bruce)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 11:44 am:

When I first got my Model T, it was equipped with well-worn Firestone NON-SKIDs up front and they looked so good, when they finished wearing out, I replaced them with the same kind of tires. -Problem is, NON-SKIDs are smaller than the regular, diamond-tread Firestones and I found that getting a flap in there was darned near impossible (and that doesn't mean other people can't do it. -It's just that I can't). -So, my wheels ran without flaps and, by either luck or cunning, it worked out okay. -No, flaps are not absolutely, positively, unquestionably, unequivocally, unambiguously a "must-have."

Now, it turns out, those cool looking NON-SKIDs do wear out pretty quick and so, when it came time to replace them again, I decided to go with the regular diamond-tread Firestones (which do wear longer and cause the car to handle nicer). -Well, by that time, I was in the habit of not using flaps and continued that way, and continued to get away with it. -It is, however, undeniable that flaps do impart a significant measure of additional protection and if you can wrestle them into your wheels, so much the better. -Absolutely, etc., etc.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration