Scam of some sort?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Scam of some sort?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 12:59 pm:

Two recent emails asking to buy items I did not advertise or list. One from a "Aitor Steven" and one from a "jim white" The items were for a Jacobson Bradon coil box with coils and one for 1911-12 Ford headlamps. The wording and form of the emails is poorly done.

Has anyone else had such inquirers?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 01:10 pm:

Sounds fishy, just delete.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 04:05 pm:

Do not reply. They then will have your email for sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 06:25 pm:

Grossly incorrect English or wrong tenses are the usual tip-off that you're dealing with a scam artist. _They use an online translation program to turn the scam message in their native language into English and the awkward wording is the result. -It's probably just another version of the exiled Nigerian prince who wants to bequeath you a million bucks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Grisbee---Cheyenne Wyo on Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 10:41 pm:

I got one from a Jim White on the Horseless Carriage site and it's definitely a scam. They want to buy "the item",send you a bogus check for too much money then try to get a partial refund before the check bounces.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, August 05, 2018 - 10:01 am:

Internet scam.

Today more than ever the number of criminals conducting these scams is terrific. The reason?

They make gobs of money from the un-suspecting.

Just last week the feds actually arrested a bunch, one of these scumbags is from my county, Alachua, in FL!

http://www.waff.com/story/38776311/in-classic-car-sales-scam-buyers-were-taken-f or-4-million-ride-fbi-says

This one is the classic one we have discussed on the forum before, pictured car is shown on the internet, Craig's List, or other sites. But the seller's does not have it. You buy, you lose!

Same with the fake purchases of items you list, the fake buyer sends a 'cashier's check' and says his delivery person will collect the item, you cash the check, which is always more than the amount, you listed it for. The fake buyer says to keep $200 for your troubles, and give the balance, thats' included the 'shipper's fee' to the shipper when he arrives.

My neighbor almost got taken, he had listed a canoe, (without a picture!) on Craig's list with his phone address, got a text from NY state, guy wanted it. Sent a cashier's check, told him to take down the Craig's List add.

Text back from him that the check was made out for more, to give the balance to the 'shipper' who would show up at his house, and to keep some for the extra trouble. Never any phone call, just texts.

Sure enough he got a cashier's check, we both looked at it, I told him this is a scam, the check was real looking too. Even had watermarks and test spot to apply heat and see color change, which it did! Interesting the envelope was address from CT!

Looked up the address, found it was a double wide for sale in CT! Told him to contact the 'buyer' and say he changed his mind, did the 'buyer' want his check back, or should he destroy it.

The buyer texts back, rather hot, that a deal is a deal, my neighbor held firm, the 'buyer' never texts back!

Neighbor re-listed on Craig's List and a local guy called, and came, saw it, they make a cash deal, the guy trailered it away.

Later I was at my branch bank and mentioned the part of the check, the bank manger said there is a real problem with fake cashier's check, they are really so good.

The bank warns customers prior to cashing, that if they do cash it, and the routing systems find the check is bad, they are on the limb for the amount. And may be risk of felony bad check passing too!

Take care with any transactions of your money that aren't face-to-face today!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, August 06, 2018 - 07:35 am:

The reason is not only that they make money, it is also that they seldom get caught. If you called the police about such a thing, they may send an officer out to take a report, but I bet you that would be about it. They have bigger fish to fry. This kind of thing is so rampant, they do not have the resources to investigate them. I hear a story like Dan's and my first thought is "Man, I bet the cops (FBI, whoever) would love to get their hands on this fake check so they could trace it back to the counterfeiter......" and then reality sets in and I realize that ain't a gonna happen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Hoffer on Monday, August 06, 2018 - 05:42 pm:

Makes me wonder what shape we are in, if there are bigger fish out there that take priority over transactions that may be thousands of dollars. Is there so much crime being committed today that a car sale just does not count?

Naively, Bill

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration