Stanís nice offer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Stanís nice offer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 06:17 pm:

I bought an OF carburetor at Hershey last year that had been restored at some time by Stan Howe. When I contacted Stan about him restoring a U&J I also purchased at Hershey I told him about the OF.

When he saw the picture of the OF he said it was an older restoration of his and that he would upgrade the screws free of charge. How nice. Here are the before and after shots.

Carb

Carb clean

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Raynor in Southampton on Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 06:29 pm:

Thatís a ďtop shelf ď guy we would say where I come from, and he sure is doing some top shelf work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Saturday, August 04, 2018 - 07:46 pm:

Stan is a class act all the way. He has done work for me in the past at a very reasonable price and in a timely manner. Top quality work.

(no we are not related :-))

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Sunday, August 05, 2018 - 01:04 pm:

Mark,

From your pictures I see that Stan not only "upgraded the screws" to a more correct version he also disassembled and freshened up the blast job. Judging by my past first hand experience with Stan's work he probably went through the whole thing doing another full restoration free.... Just because that's what he does if his name is on the job!!!... Yep, you can see he removed the plastic washer seals and replaced them with the period correct fiber washers.

Pretty amazing when you figure you bought the carb at a swap meet and never paid Stan for the original restoration. I hope you sent a gratuity to Stan for his effort!

I wish we had more like Stan... In all of life's endeavors!

TH

(Message edited by thorlick on August 05, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Sunday, August 05, 2018 - 04:57 pm:

I actually paid a lot for that carb at Hershey. Yes, I do want to send him something for the trouble even if I didnít ask for it. I do have a question if anyone out there runs one of these. This is my first and Iím anxious to try it.

The throttle shaft has a plate on the top that I assume pushes down on the end of a lever (with a roller) that operates a pump when accelerating. But there is no real contact to actually do this. Is there a bigger roller that might go on the end of that lever?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Sunday, August 05, 2018 - 09:40 pm:

I don't have any answers but good heavens! What a change!
To be honest, I wish I had a period piece to request Stan's services.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, August 05, 2018 - 10:19 pm:

Mark, Here's a link to the manual for the OF Carburetor I posted here on the Forum a while back.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/467871.html

Stan Rocks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Monday, August 06, 2018 - 12:33 am:

Yes, Stan's The Man!! That's for sure. We'll certainly miss him whenever he's gone someday.

Just remember the idle screw is sort of backwards.

Screw "in" is richer and unscrew "out" is lean. that passage controls the air not the fuel.

Once the carb is set you never have to adjust it again like most T carbs!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, August 06, 2018 - 06:43 pm:

Thanks, I would have never seen this if I hadn't got a call about it.

The little arm runs an economizer, which is actually an air bleed to the main jet to lean the mixture at low speeds and power requirements. It supposedly also leans the mix at full open throttle conditions but I dunno how much difference it actually makes at wide open speeds.

This is a pure example of a small venturi not making a carb that won't run. Flow is not everything. Function of the various circuits makes a lot of difference.

This is somewhere around rebuild number 75 or 100 based on the style of needle and seat conversion I made for it. My newest style is much simpler and works better. Done about 1,000 OF's now but I quit keeping track. Need more bench time not more bookeeping time.

Thanks,
Stan Howe
Back to the shop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Monday, August 06, 2018 - 09:32 pm:

Here is a short video clip of what Iím describing. The plate on the throttle doesnít seem to make effective contact with the roller on that arm.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=htw0E0goN6U

For those of you actually using OFs in your stock engine .. should this be adjusted to get more purchase on that lever? Or does it make any difference? I bought this as a working carburetor for a hefty chunk of change. Wondering if I have a shiny door stop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Monday, August 06, 2018 - 09:59 pm:

My questions are no reflection on Stanís work. Iím just looking for guidance on the use of this carburetor. Have never had one before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 09:35 am:

Mark: Hope you have it figured out now, after our phone conversation. Once you get it working correct, you'll never put the NH back on. Good luck : Bruce

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration