Old Photo - Northern Ohio Foof Terminal, Cleveland, Ohio

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Old Photo - Northern Ohio Foof Terminal, Cleveland, Ohio
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, August 05, 2018 - 09:42 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, August 05, 2018 - 09:57 am:

Look at all the big trucks! Thanks Jay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Sunday, August 05, 2018 - 10:02 am:

Oh, what wonderful trucks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Sunday, August 05, 2018 - 10:04 am:

What is the Federal Cold Storage? The sign upper right

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, August 05, 2018 - 10:19 am:

I don't know if it's the same one, but there's a Federal Cold Storage in Vernon, CA (Los Angeles, CA area).

James,
A "cold storage" company rent's/leases out cold storage space to all manner of folks who need it. Typically, they will handle a lot of seasonal produce (fruits and vegetables). You'll often find meat there (both commercial and private).

When I was a kid I worked a summer for a farmer in San Jose, CA. He rented cold storage space from a place called Modern Ice on 13th street in San Jose. We'd bring fresh picked cherries there, chill them, pack them and ship them via air freight to Florida.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, August 05, 2018 - 10:19 am:

Why is that old horse and wagon allowed in the truck parking lot :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, August 05, 2018 - 10:41 am:

I think individuals renting cold storage was much more common seventy years ago than it is today. I remember my folks having stuff in a cold storage locker in the late forties. Later they bought a home freezer, I assume when the price came down or they saved up enough to pay for one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, August 05, 2018 - 10:57 am:

I do not remember ever seeing it but we had a locker in a store called Bartlet & Ash.Old time store with uneven wood floors,and groceries.The locker must have been good sized because at the time we butchered our meat.I know 60 years ago we had a freezer cause when my dad's oiled 12 gauge went off the load went through a bushel of pressed sheets and made a huge dent in the freezer!!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, August 05, 2018 - 11:12 am:

As a Kid I remember walking the block and 1/2 to get something out of the freezer down at the corner store. That would have been over 50 years ago. Heck I have a hard enough time remembering to take something out of my home freezer to de-frost now. LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, August 05, 2018 - 11:24 am:

Jim

Federal Cold Storeage was or maybe still is, a warehouse run by the government where at least schools were able to pick up their monthly allotments of various food commodity surplus. Things such as peanut butter, frozen chicken in huge boxes, as well as frozen ground beef and such. I sent a maintenance man up to cleveland monthly in a big U-Haul box truck to pick up our cafeterias allotment. Quite an operation and at the time, quite a "give away" of food for school kitchens.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration