Old Photo-Car factory

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Old Photo-Car factory
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Monday, August 06, 2018 - 07:32 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Monday, August 06, 2018 - 07:35 am:

With a rear spring like that what are these vehicles destined to be?

Great photo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Monday, August 06, 2018 - 12:52 pm:

Radiator looks a bit like a Maxwell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, August 06, 2018 - 02:17 pm:

The radiator side's sweep to the frame has me stumped. It should be a good clue to anyone who has seen that.
Those factory photos of chassis' lined up are intriguing.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, August 06, 2018 - 03:46 pm:

It sort of resembles the old Rainier plant i started in long ago.It looks as if there is a second floor above? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred B on Monday, August 06, 2018 - 04:00 pm:

maybe i'ts a foreign make, rh drive. looks like they weren't assembled up against the wall ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred B on Monday, August 06, 2018 - 04:04 pm:

i see now they are on supports.maybe they were assembled there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, August 06, 2018 - 04:11 pm:

Maybe these cars are built in rows and the maker hadnt used the assembly line way. Not yet anyway.
Anybody know when foreign makes started using the line method?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, August 06, 2018 - 05:13 pm:

Most makes pre T were right hand drive.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Monday, August 06, 2018 - 06:21 pm:

The way the rear spring doubles back to the top of the frame should be a giant clue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Monday, August 06, 2018 - 06:43 pm:

That's called a 3/4 elliptic spring, and more than a few makes over years used it. If enough clues can be gathered, maybe we'll learn what make !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 12:28 am:

REO!!! The bottom of the Reo radiator sweeps out over the frame rail. The hood does the same and the hood hooks come up through the hood sweep.

Opps, I take that all back as Reo's were not right hand drive.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 03:02 am:

Actually brasscarguy, Reo's like most of the early 1900's cars, were RHD up until 1910.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Woolf on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 02:26 pm:

I think the picture may be of the KisselKar factory from about 1908. See the original ad below and notice the radiator and hood match the shape of the radiator and hood former in the factory photo. The bottom of the radiator sweeps out toward the fenders on each side as in the photo above.

Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 03:36 pm:

rear springs are not the same.that rad type was very common.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 12:53 am:

All 4 cylinder Reo's were left hand drive. The one and 2 cylinder Reo's were right hand drive

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 01:03 am:

Do a search on 1905 Buick Model C. It has the unique radiator and RH steering. Iím on my iPad and am unable to post a picture. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 01:59 am:

Could that factory be assembling 1905 Buick Model C's. Note the Radiator, RH Drive and rear springs. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 02:53 am:

Brasscargay
All 4 cyl reo's LHD would be true as according to the history of Reo, they developed the 4 in 1907 and produced/released their first 4 in 1911.
I said Reo's RHD up to 1910.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 07:42 am:

not buick.look at frt springs, rad neck, steering gear, cant see rear springs. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Woolf on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 07:50 am:

Jim, I don't think they are Buick Model C's. The Buick Model C has a 2 cylinder engine under the front seat. Under the hood are the fuel and water tanks. The factory picture above looks to be a conventional four cylinder engine.

Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 09:47 am:

Could it be a 1908 Buick Model F? Buick retained that distinctive radiator until 1908 and also had a 4 cylinder engine that year. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 09:50 am:

PS. The radiator neck is also longer, like in the factory picture. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 09:54 am:

Iím mistaken. The Buick radiator was changed in 1906 and no longer had that distinctive flare at the base. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 10:47 am:

The Buick F was a two cylinder engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 01:47 pm:

My guess would be a assembled car like so many of the time because while we see several chassis we see no machinery?? Is that a coil box or oiler on the dash? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 02:23 pm:

Bud, you're probably right, although this looks like the end of the line- completed chassis waiting for tires and body work. Maybe there's other processes on different floors or in other buildings. I'm a little amazed our members haven't been able to identify the make as yet - must be a very obscure marque ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Woolf on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 03:48 pm:

Bud, I believe that is an oiler on the engine side of the firewall.

Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 04:13 pm:

If we could get Rob to look he might have a idea? No Fords ever used the semi ellipitc springs.I think i have seen the radiator shape before so could it be a Rambler?? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 05:30 pm:

Aren't the Model Ts springs specified as "transverse semi-elliptic springs" ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 05:39 pm:

My Mistake Rich,and i read it out of the book! I wonder why their are called that when they are not like the ones in the old picture? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 07:43 pm:

Bud, as I understand it, "full elliptic" would be like if you put two Model T front springs together, one inverted on top of the other. Half of that is "semi" elliptic, and if you cut the top half of "full elliptic" in two, and attached it to the frame as in the mystery car we're trying to figure out, you have "3/4 elliptic". Most cars from the mid 'teens well into the 30s used parallel semi elliptic springs up to the innovations in independent front suspension. Parallel meaning parallel to the frame rails. Earlier there were more interesting and elaborate suspension arrangements. Many borrowed directly from the horse drawn "spring wagons" that were contemporary with early horseless carriages.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration