Need some chemical reaction info.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Need some chemical reaction info.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Sandberg on Monday, August 06, 2018 - 10:19 am:

Need to clean out a 26 roadster gas tank which I cannot take out of car. There is about 2" of 17 year old "gas". It has been suggested I use a combination of Phosphoric & Hydrochloric (HCL) (muriatic) acids. Not sure of number of parts/parts but what is the plus or minus and effectiveness of such a mixture? I am sure not a chemist

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble Northern Michigan on Monday, August 06, 2018 - 10:56 am:

Take off the sediment bulb and drain it out as best you can. You will need to take the tank out of the car to properly clean, derust, and coat the tank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Juhl on Monday, August 06, 2018 - 11:13 am:

I'm assuming you are talking about 2 inches old gas and some varnish? Regardless, acids will have little effect on either. Drain or siphon any liquid,then try dissolving what's left with lacquer thinner. Let it sit awhile and probably rinse and repeat at least once.
Acids can be used to remove rust but you might be better off using a commercial product like PQR15 or metal rescue which is less likely to damage other parts of your car.

It would certainly be easier to do a good job if you could figure out how to remove the tank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, August 06, 2018 - 11:56 am:

Drain and then used a couple of gallons of lacquer thinner, let it sit but rock the car to slosh it around every so often. You may have to drain and repeat several times. I did this on a Model A, worked to some extent, but best is to drop tank and have cleaned and coated inside.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/822076/886476.html?1533524186

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter McIntyre on Monday, August 06, 2018 - 12:04 pm:

My go to is carb cleaner.Works great and is reusable .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Monday, August 06, 2018 - 12:20 pm:

Filling it with kerosene may help as well...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By J. on Monday, August 06, 2018 - 12:22 pm:

There's a toilet cleaner I've used to clean motorcycle gas tanks called "The Works." The advantage to a motorcycle tank is that you can swirl and swish it around but it should work the same even at rest. It does contain hydrochloric acid, so basically a thinned out naval jelly, but at a dollar a bottle it's hard to beat. My words of caution, keep a close eye on it, maybe even drain it every 15,20,30 minutes. If there's pin holes...the product will find them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Monday, August 06, 2018 - 02:11 pm:

A oil-based solvent will work best.

Acetone, Toluene, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Monday, August 06, 2018 - 04:03 pm:

I've used Berryman's Chemtool in old tanks before. It's sold as a gasoline additive (by the pint) these days, but smells like the carb cleaners we used to get in the "old days". Whatever's in it dissolves old lacquer, gas, peanut butter or anything else in there. Drain and flush with gasoline or alcohol afterward.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Monday, August 06, 2018 - 04:04 pm:

I've used Berryman's Chemtool in old tanks before, available at any good auto parts house. It's sold as a gasoline additive (by the pint) these days, but smells like the carb cleaners we used to get in the "old days". Whatever's in it dissolves old lacquer, gas, peanut butter or anything else in there. Drain and flush with gasoline or alcohol afterward.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration