OT: Something wrong with the HCCA website?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT: Something wrong with the HCCA website?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace, Woodstock,Ont. Canada on Monday, August 06, 2018 - 05:41 pm:

Is something amiss with the HCCA website? I cannot access the classified ads at all. If I even try to open the website on my iPhone it tells me the website cannot be trusted and it's been hacked. My iPhone won't even allow me to access the site even if I want to. Anyone else gone over to the "brass side of the force" and found troubles?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, August 06, 2018 - 05:51 pm:

I just checked it and it works for me - I'm using a Windows 10 PC with Google Chrome. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Monday, August 06, 2018 - 06:27 pm:

Periodically a website will let their security certificate lapse - that sends an automatic red flag to search engines.

I got the same thing a few days ago.

If I was running a classified ad - I would be pissed ...

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, August 06, 2018 - 06:44 pm:

Yes. It is. How bad? I do not know. A few days ago, I could not access any of the classifieds or discussion forums. I got a standard message saying something about the site down for "service". The next day, classifieds sort of worked, but was glitchy and things were out of order. The following day, the discussion forums were back, but missing a bunch of recent stuff. The tour reports went back to June this year, missing a wonderful report by Gil Fitzhugh the Elder about a fabulous tour of steam cars, and a "thank you" from me (I say this not to blow my own horn, but show why I KNOW things are missing. The automotive questions and discussions jumped back with one thing left from 2018, otherwise, back to 2017. I am fairly sure there were several threads I read a couple months ago, but I don't recall specifics.
I tried to send a message to the moderators, and got an automated message to me indicating I had sent a message, but have not heard anything since. If I don't hear anything by tonight? I may try again to contact them. Maybe through a home page link?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace, Woodstock,Ont. Canada on Monday, August 06, 2018 - 07:31 pm:

I tried again using Mozilla Firefox and the HCCA site now works. Through Google Chrome it still isn't working for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Monday, August 06, 2018 - 08:03 pm:

I am having trouble with Google on other sites so perhaps it's a Google problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Monday, August 06, 2018 - 09:19 pm:

I tried to place a no-photo ad on the want ads at HCCA about a week ago. I couldn't get it done. So I sent a message to the webmaster.He responded back that it could be my browser or something on my end. But I was eventually able to get on there.
Now today I was called by someone who really sounded like a scammer. A friend called me right after I got off the phone with him. I told him the story and he said he wanted to call the guy. So I gave him the number. He talked to the guy and said he would call back in an hour. Meanwhile my friend had a visitor at his house who did a search on the guy's name and phone number. It came back that he has a lot of static about him on some other forums and is considered a scammer. It sounded too good to be true and I guess it was!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 12:18 am:

IT'S TIME!!!!! for the HCCA Board to find a competent web master. It has just gotten worse year after year. At least they finally got rid of their old editor and replaced hm with a woman that has done wonders with her 1st few issues.

It seems the board needs to be kicked in the a@#$% to get them off the dime.

just sayin'

brasscarguy(National HCCA President) 2001.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 04:41 pm:

Web managing is a PAIN IN THE- (enough).

I have never met Chris Brancaccio in person, but just dealing with him in my very limited amount, I think he must be one of the best for this anywhere. (THANK YOU Chris B!)

I worked in cutting edge technologies for more than thirty years. My fingerprints are all over the internet's foundation. And I eventually HAD to get out of that work because I could no longer tolerate the effects of way too many people that thought they had to run the various sub industries because they had convinced themselves that they were smarter than everybody else (they are not smarter, more like a five-year-old that thinks they are smarter than mommy).
Doing web managing means having to work well with those five-year-olds. It also means having to understand the real world (the five-year-olds do not understand it, and refuse to believe there is a huge amount of world outside their little conclaves that is also important).
I need to cut this short, otherwise it would be so long nobody here would read half the causes and reasons.

Web managing is a nasty balancing act. One must constantly deal with badly designed programs, destined to fail, and somehow manage to keep them working most of the time. One must also get along with child minds that have somehow achieved more power than they should be allowed. Try to make something that will please everybody (we all know that nobody can ever please everybody), and work under extremes of technological conditions. A hundred various infrastructures and competing technologies don't help any.
It takes a very special person to do even half all that. I found out a long time ago that I do not have the right type of mindset to do that.

For antique car hobbyists? There is NO easy fix-it.

Again, Chris B, THANK YOU!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration