New hood and skirts for Mercury Speedster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: New hood and skirts for Mercury Speedster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 02:15 pm:

Just picked up my new hood and skirts, some assembly required.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 02:21 pm:

Sweet !! Please show us your progress Andy !! Love to see the craft involved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry K. Lee on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 02:21 pm:

Andy,

Just some good booze for the metal pixies, slap hard with the hammers and shot bag, and then take a rest. Repeat as required until the pixies see it your way.

All the Best,

Hank in Tin-A-See

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 05:55 pm:

Might as well make some extras, to share with your new friends What radiator shell are you using?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry K. Lee on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 06:49 pm:

Oh, and by the way...., Friends need to supply booze to watch. LOL!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 07:03 pm:

I don't know just what my radiator shell is off of but it is close to the mercury shell. It is brass and has been painted. I'm going to strip it and hope that it is good enough to plate. You can see it in my profile.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Morsher on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 06:03 am:

Andy, I have lots of pictures of an original hood, should you decide to go that route. Tmorsher@icloud.com, I donít get PMs here. T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 06:14 pm:

I started today by cutting the sheet on steel down to size. I used a straight edge and a steel cutting blade in a skill saw, makes great straight lines.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 06:16 pm:

After I had my steel cut to size I laid out and cut the skirts to fit. Now to go see the guy with the 8 foot brake.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 06:17 pm:

I'll be in touch Tim, I do have to modify the drivers side since I am going to run my exhaust out the side of the car.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Saturday, August 18, 2018 - 12:45 pm:

Well, I made a new friend with an 8 foot brake and got my skirts bent into channel. Now I need to form it to the curve of the body, 2 person job with the kick shrinker. I'll need a volunteer from the audience.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Monday, August 27, 2018 - 08:38 pm:

Today I formed one of the skirts to the contour of the body. This required shrinking the edges of the channel I made to conform to the curve of the body. It was a pain but as you can see in the picture, "Jack" helped hold up one end. It looks uneven because the skirt has a nice clean bend and the body has a little history along the edge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - 09:04 am:

Great fun to see your progress Andy ! Thanks for letting us watch !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Wednesday, August 29, 2018 - 11:10 pm:

Thanks Rich, I was beginning to think no one was paying attention. Yesterday and today I fitted the left skirt. Now it goes for primer then I can get back on the exhaust and hood. It fits better than it looks in the picture. I didn't bend the end tabs yet because it was easier to clamp in place for the test fitting.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, August 30, 2018 - 02:06 am:

I am looking!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Thursday, August 30, 2018 - 07:02 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Archer Hayward, CA. on Friday, August 31, 2018 - 06:40 pm:

Andy, more of us are looking than you realize. Thanks.

Ed aka #4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Friday, August 31, 2018 - 06:51 pm:

I'm not afraid of good, hard work. Watching somebody work is very restful.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Friday, August 31, 2018 - 07:04 pm:

Andy

I follow your post on the body construction and just don't take the time to comment. I do enjoy reading about the progress and I hope you keep posting. Please keep the pictures and information coming.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Friday, August 31, 2018 - 07:08 pm:

I also am enjoying your progress, Andy. I can only look and dream "maybe someday".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Friday, August 31, 2018 - 08:04 pm:

Thanks for the encouragement. I dropped the body off to get a coat of primer, then it's back on the chassis for exhaust and hood.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Friday, August 31, 2018 - 08:28 pm:

When the word speedster is in a post title there will be a ship load of guys checking out the post.
I am one of them.
Nobody.....NOBODY has ever posted anything about a speedster that I have not read. Including you Andy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 11:15 am:

Got side tracked but am back on the Mercury. To save extra holes in the skirts I am moving the brake lever inboard. I finished the bracket and shaft, just need my brakes to finish the job.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 01:51 pm:

Great idea on the brake setup. What did you use for the connecting rod. Nice work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 02:19 pm:

The bracket is made from some chrome moly that is the right ID, the stand off is from the small end of a 289 rod. Tigged together with 309 rod because of the metal mix. Shaft is 11/16 stainless. Made the bushing from an old triple gear bushing. Never throw away an old bushing.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Bausch on Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 10:20 am:

Morning Andy,
What is the type and gauge of sheet steel you are using, anything special about it? I am considering redoing the cowl on my Speedster this winter. Thank you for posting your progress. Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 01:20 pm:

Long time no see Gary. The steel is standard 20 gauge (.0375) for the hood and skirts. The mercury body is 18 gauge. I don't know if the hoods were originally 18 gauge, I'm just copying what was there.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 11:46 am:

Well, I've got the skirts cut out for the spring and radius arms and cleco'd in place. Next I made a template for the top of the hood. the same template will work for both sides. I made it out of 26 gauge steel because poster board just doesn't act like metal. Here it is in place for a test fit with notes on it for changing a couple dimensions.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Bausch on Sunday, October 07, 2018 - 11:06 pm:

Hi Andy. Yes it has been a few years. I always seem to have something else going on the day of the Endurance Run. Thanks for the info. The reason I asked was a few years ago someone told be about what they called "auto body metal". Never heard of the stuff and people I have asked recently do not know about it either. So plain ole 20 gauge it is. If I remember right I used 18 gauge on my cowl as I had simple curves to do. You are right that poster board not always the the best for patterns. I had to tape two pieces together for my cowl pattern, got me close enough for what I needed. I like the idea of using lighter gauge steel instead. Thank you for the progress posts. Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Sunday, October 07, 2018 - 11:46 pm:

Gary, the material you referred to as "auto body metal" might be AKDQ, or Aluminum Killed Steel. I'm no expert, but on a visit to a well known body maker out here in So. Cal, I was told that they used Aluminum Killed Steel because it formed and welded very well and was exceptionally flat as received.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Bausch on Monday, October 08, 2018 - 01:37 pm:

Dick thank you for that tidbit. I will check this stuff out. My cowl is pretty basic (unless Andy's work inspires me to be more creative this time on the redo)no welding required so it will likely come down to cost. Without Andy's post I would have gone on for more years wondering what "auto body metal" is. Thank you both again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Monday, October 08, 2018 - 02:08 pm:

The aluminum killed steel is also known as drawing quality and is typically used in restoration where a good deal of shape is needed. For speedster use we generally are working with simple bends and not compound curves so the higher quality steel isn't needed. If I had to replace the top section of the Mercury tail I would certainly consider using the AK steel. If all goes well I'll have some hood forming photos later.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Monday, October 08, 2018 - 02:08 pm:

This is fun to watch...thanks for posting the updates.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Monday, October 08, 2018 - 05:59 pm:

So I experimented with rolling the top of my hood in the slip roll. My slip rolls are fairly small diameter and I was unable to get a smooth transition from the curve to the flat. It was recommended that I form the curves over and oxygen bottle. I tried this and though I could make the rear curve the front was too tight for the diameter of my bottle. I then proceeded to kink the hood trying to tighten the curve free hand. So I used a piece of 4" pvc pipe as my bending form. Using the smaller diameter I was able to make the tighter curve with a good blend to the flat area. The photo looks kinked but it's not. Unfortunately I used up what was left of my sheet, so off to the steel store in the AM.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, October 08, 2018 - 06:13 pm:

Looking good Andy ! I finally caved in and hired a mobile sheet metal guy w/rolls to assist in helping with my Racer hood 25 + years ago - went from a Whippet radiator to my cowl - same problem - the Whippet is flat at the top but my cowl has a nice radius (I used my Ford Model A oval sign for my cowl pattern!)

racer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Monday, October 08, 2018 - 06:42 pm:

Looks good, Steve. I'm trying to get the metal done myself, there are any real complicated bends. I haven't had to do a lot that shows before. The painter should be ready for it in about 3 weeks.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry K. Lee on Monday, October 08, 2018 - 08:31 pm:

VERY NICE JOB ANDY!

All the Best,

Hank in Tin-A-See

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Friday, October 12, 2018 - 01:22 pm:

Ok, I've added to my scrap pile but I have 2 hood tops bent and trimmed. They need a little filing to square the edges but I'm fairly happy to get this done.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shane Lach - Milford, NH on Friday, October 12, 2018 - 01:27 pm:

Looks great! Keep posting progress, tips, tricks, and techniques please! I am saving these photos in my file for my own speedster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, October 12, 2018 - 03:32 pm:

Looking good, Andy ! Yeah, you would have got a chuckle out of my scrap pile just with trunk lids !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Friday, October 12, 2018 - 10:29 pm:

I guess I should call it a practice pile. I've made a lot of material bite sized to fit the dumpster better. The hood sides are rectangular so I hope to only need 3 or 4 attempts.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Friday, October 19, 2018 - 04:47 pm:

It's been a while. I have the hood top panels pretty much done, I have to decide how to attach to the hinge. Here is one side panel, the other is just a flat sheet right now. I had to make clearance for the side exhaust. This panel will be fixed in place and the passenger side will hinge open normally. After I finish fitting these it is off for louvers. This slot is bigger than needed but I will have a piece of trim to tighten the fit when the headers are done. Note there is only one header tube. A bend into a taper is harder to fit than I expected. More Tubing and another megaphone on its way.

And

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Williams, Hillsboro Oregon on Saturday, October 20, 2018 - 12:29 pm:

Andy,
Are we gonna see it next June on the scvmtfc endurance run?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Saturday, October 20, 2018 - 12:34 pm:

That's my goal. The body is off to the painter in November and the I'll have the chassis to refurbish. I understand it'll be 2 days like the 25th run.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Sunday, October 21, 2018 - 02:44 pm:

Very Nice!! I love the Mercury body. Thanks for the update.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Bausch on Monday, October 22, 2018 - 10:24 am:

Well done Andy.Shoot I might have to at least show up at the Endurance Run for a look see. Thank you for the posts. Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Williams, Hillsboro Oregon on Monday, October 22, 2018 - 07:09 pm:

Not gonna drive your speedster in the run Gary?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Bausch on Tuesday, October 23, 2018 - 10:19 am:

No,the last few years my June weekends get sold out to other things, not leaving room for fun stuff. Since it will be the 50th, I'll have to try and steal one day and to have that look see. Gary

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration