Cost of total rebuild??

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Cost of total rebuild??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jay on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 03:27 pm:

What would the approximate total cost to FULLY rebuild a T engine and transmission...block, valves, pistons, shaft, bearings, clutch, bands, magnets, etc...just the primary engine and transmission? Excluding the carb, starter, generator, etc.

Who would you recommend in the IL, MI, IN and OH area to do so?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 03:48 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 04:08 pm:

I'd say four to seven grand, depending on what needs to be replaced.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Thompson Graham NC on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 04:12 pm:

if you went the whole way scat crank and all
easy 6-7000 those cranks are 1600

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Chatten on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 04:26 pm:

Engine Joe , Joe Bell from Ohio , He does very good work and very reasonable price .He has done many rebuilds for myself and my friends. From Ontario .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 06:21 pm:

You can save some money by reusing the head gasket...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 07:17 pm:

I second the recommendation for Joe Bell. He's in Tiffin, OH.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 07:28 pm:

Joe Bell did my 14 and it's very smooth running.Tim ,are you still trying to save money by using both sides of the paper?? Only a joke! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 08:09 pm:

Jeez. 7000 big ones. And it's about what I figured too. Always said if I joined the 2 piece club I'd be walking for years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Thompson Graham NC on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 08:16 pm:

Do you need the full rebuild of could you cut some corners and get back on the road

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 08:31 pm:

Well, you folks in the Midwest are quite fortunate to have 3 reputable engine builders - besides Joe Bell, there is Jack Putnam & Kevin Prus - both of those fellows have done short block work for me in the past !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ralph Fitz-Gerald - Vermont on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 08:33 pm:

I just had Pat's Restoration do my motor. Give a him a call. He has post picture of my motor on his face book page.
Fitz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 08:53 pm:

Another vote for Joe Bell. Be sending him my '13 engine end of Sept. Save me a spot Joe!! ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 11:23 pm:

Jeez, a rebuilt engine could triple the value of my truck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 11:27 pm:

Yep. 7k for engine and trans. All new pistons, H beam rods, scat crank with insert bearings, 280 stripe cam, metal gears, new valves, harden seats, block cleaned, bored, line bored for cam, block and head machined. Trans. rebuilt, all worn parts replaced, new wood bands, hogs head machined for o-rings, dynamic balanced, machined forth main. Hopefully I will never need to do that again. I drive the wheels off my car. Today was 108 and the winters are in the teens and I just keep chugging along.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 06:51 am:

Steve Jelf's estimate is spot on. I hadn't built up a T engine since the early seventies and it was sticker shock to say the least! Although I'm doing some of the work myself, my engine will come in at right around 4K or so.

On the positive side the techniques, machining and parts available these days are superior. Back when I did my first engine, most shops weren't interested and did sort of a "ho-hum" job. If the cost really bothers you, just think of what the end result will be......superior to Ford specs!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 10:09 am:

A complete chassis rebuild could go as much as 10-12, 000 if your going from the high end range of a complete engine rebuild. 7 plus as much as 5 thousand if everything is new.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration