Best distributor for a model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Best distributor for a model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Majury on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 03:34 pm:

Opinions and ideas please on the best clip on distributor to use on a 1920 model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 06:23 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 07:04 pm:

I can't say one distributor is any better than another, but there is a difference in quality of points and condensors. We had a real rash of distributor problems at the national tour in June.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Williams, Hillsboro Oregon on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 07:06 pm:

My Texas T distributor has been trouble free for me for 10 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry K. Lee on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 07:06 pm:

Hi Ron,

Depending on the performance level if any to your engine, a simple Texas T Parts works well. The old ones like Performance T Parts by Reader were outstanding as he used partial centrifugal advance. The old Bosch's, Delco's, and such work well except for the replacement parts are getting difficult to locate and they were made from pot metal which loves to fail with little notice. I have made my own from different 4 cylinder NOS Mallory dual point distributors, i.e. Vega, VW, Pinto's, and etc. These work really outstanding for any performance level as you can set it, forget about it, by setting the advance curve plate and springs. I know the purist don't like it but driving a car with to much or to little timing does the babbitt and valves no good. Just my $.02.

All the Best to All,

Hank in Tin-A-See

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Majury on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 08:35 pm:

All of your input is appreciated very much, Thanks Ron

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 09:37 pm:

Ron, You can retain original appearance with stock coils and wiring yet enjoy maintenance free operation with distributor performance using an E-Timer More information at www.modeltetimer.com Just another option to consider.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael - Detroit, Mich on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 10:24 pm:

Ron, I've got the True Fire ignition system. Love it. It's little to no maintenance.
http://www.true-fire.com/ignition.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 10:31 pm:

No one has mentioned using a Pertronix pointless conversion in a Bosch distributor. I have one in a Texas T distributor setup and it is very dependable: no points to ever wear out or adjust.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 10:34 pm:

Period Bosch, and Atwater Kent distributors are pretty easy to come by. Updating them with Pertronix ignition modules makes them pretty much trouble free, by eliminating the points and condenser in favor of a hall effect sensor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hughes, Raymond, NE on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 10:58 pm:

I will second the option of using the e-timer. It is like the best of both worlds. The reliability and performance of a distributor but with the look of the stock ignition system.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 01:13 am:

A disy makes it like a Chebby unless you have a Speedster.

Check out the Etimer with the best performance and better reliability bar None! It looks like a Model T should.

YOMV

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 07:35 am:

"Pointless".......Freud comes to mind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 08:11 am:

Bought my Dist from Langs last year. A good set up. The timing is so precise. The engine has never run so smooth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 10:01 am:

Ron:
I like the period correct Atwater-Kent LA distributor ...a electronic module like Pertronix makes these a great ignition unit ...BUT as Mike stated the E-Timer is probably the best option to keep original appearances , and have excellent performance, with very little attention ever required ...always an optimist Gene French

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 11:00 am:

My car had a bosh distributor in it when I got it and has been flawless now for 5 years. I installed a new set of points when I got it and havenít touched them since. I check the gap now and then and check condition but never have had to make any changes. I would have kept the original coils in it but this is the way I got it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 02:54 pm:

Hal, "pointless"? No, Washington D.C. comes to my mind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 07:04 pm:

Hal, I don't ever mean to start a fight but I think it's important that the poster does find out some other options.

The two Mikes and Terry along with Steve offered different options to be aware of and possible check them out when deciding what to buy.

Ron did ask for opinions and Ideas!

That was the POINT

Hal, did you have an idea worth his consideration?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Crosby Webster, NY on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 11:06 pm:

I think the best option for me is the True Fire ignition system as It looks stock and gives much better combustion, throttle response and the spark plugs burn much cleaner, aka more power.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 01:01 am:

I bought a Texas T Parts distributor 20 years ago. Bosch 009 head on it I think. Parts are available at the parts store. Same as my 83 skid loader. :-)
I couldn't find and couldn't afford the correct timer, the box and the coils then. But I could spend $320 on a dizzy???? I did.
15 years later, I had to replace the condenser as it went belly-up.
That T never toured, it did get got driven a bunch locally and sat outdoors the whole time. 15 years before condenser and points. True.
Have spares in your toolbox as you'll never know when they'll "give up the ship". Some fellas say that nowadays the parts give up way early.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration