Anyone strip out manifold stud holes in the block?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Anyone strip out manifold stud holes in the block?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Banks on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 07:33 pm:

At least one of mine is stripped. How did you fix it? Tap out larger and make your own studs, or somehow sleeve it? Is there a consensus on this?
Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 07:50 pm:

Helicoil ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry K. Lee on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 07:57 pm:

Allen,

The best method is a Nut-Sert. It is a threaded bushing with retaining spikes. You over drill the hole as the kit states, counter sink lightly, tap to the size stated, install the sert. They are the cat's meow! Kar Products and others have them in a 5 per kit pack or even eBay has them in the 3/8 x 24 thread.

Hank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 08:34 pm:

Be very careful when drilling oversize in any of the manifold stud holes - they're "blind holes" now but can soon not be !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 11:54 pm:

Sorry Henry- as Steve mentioned, there is not a huge amount of material around the bosses in the water jacket. Because of this and the smaller tap drill required for a helicoil versus a nut sert or keensert, a helicoil would be the preferred repair method. Just a suggestion though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 03:29 am:

Allen, be thankful that your car is wrong hand drive. On our right hand drive cars the steering column gets in the way, especially on the back hole. I made a special long drill and tap holder to get a helicoil into that hole so I didn't have to remove the steering column.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 10:51 am:

I think Henry is referring to a time sert. http://www.timesert.com/ If you do a web search they are available from many sources. Just be sure to get the correct thread size and pitch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 01:38 pm:

Allen

PM sent

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration