Lost fan grease cup

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Lost fan grease cup
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Haywood on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 08:43 pm:

Lost my fan grease cup and now fan hub tightens up when engine is running. Can I adjust it and then put a lock nut on it until I find a new cup? Am I missing something else?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 08:51 pm:

Is it "tightening" (seizing?) up because it's not
getting any grease? Just askin'

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Haywood on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 08:57 pm:

Hub turns freely until Hub bolt tightens as fan turns locking the hub

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Reid Central WI on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 09:06 pm:

Yes you an put a lock nut on it. That is what the cup assembly is. You should be able to get the cup from Langís or Snyderís.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 09:07 pm:

Do you have a lock down nut on the bolt or just the bolt?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Haywood on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 09:24 pm:

No lock nut just bolt and grease cup. Just found this pic

So I add a lock nut until I get a new grease cup

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 09:29 pm:

On the early style with riveted on blades, the grease cup is the lock nut.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Haywood on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 09:47 pm:

Thank you forum. Iím sure last time I grease the hub I didnít tighten the cup enough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Reid Central WI on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 10:14 pm:

When you get the assembly take the cup off and fill it with grease. Tighten the nut part against your bolt then screw on the cup to push grease into the bolt which lubricates the fan bearing via a hole in the bolt. The nut stays tight, the cup gets screwed down for more grease. When empty refill with grease.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 10:54 am:

Looks like that castle nut is the reason you lost it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 09:42 am:

Neil, the fan shaft is stepped and when all is correct, the shaft winds in and stops on the step. If your fan binds before the step is engaged on the bracket, the fan bushings need to be faced down so you can tighten the shaft. The bracket works as a locknut when the shaft is turned home against it.

When the greaser is fitted it complements the locking action of the shaft to the arm. The thin metal of the greaser base is not meant to be the primary lock for the shaft.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 11:04 am:

Check the books, but the year 1920 to 1927 fans were not supposed to have a grease cup there anyway.

Ford Part Number 3980 is a small screw that is supposed to be removed to add oil on a regular basis.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration