Clutch/Reverse Pedals

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Clutch/Reverse Pedals
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 10:59 pm:

Two questions I have are:
1. While in low gear, parking brake lever fully forward, I release the clutch pedal it takes like a good 15 seconds (maybe 20) for the trans to finally get in high gear. Any thoughts why it doesn’t reach high once my foot is off the clutch?
2. I have noticed on some Ts is that the reverse pedal is either level with the other pedals or considerably forward of the other pedals thereby making it easier to push for reverse. Mine, of course, is level with the other pedals and makes it very difficult to reverse as your shoe gets all tangled with the other pedals!
I appreciate any recommendations,

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 11:13 pm:

1 My guess would be the clutch slipping due to a weak spring.

2 You can make the pedal higher with a bolt-on accessory extension.

Or you can make your own with a block of wood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 11:29 pm:

The reverse pedal extension works GREAT! I have one on two of my cars. Shoes (and feet) were narrower 100 years ago. Even then accessory pedal extensions were sold. The one Steve shows is a copy of a period accessory.

Pedals also have gotten bent down towards the floor over the years. They bend pretty easily cold, and very easily if you apply a little heat.

Band adjustment also affects pedal height.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 06:55 am:

Willis,

Are you backing off on the throttle when you release the clutch peddle? Some old Model T drivers have the bad habit of not backing off on the throttle. The clutch will seat better when there is no load on it.

Other than that, try adjusting the three clutch arms inside the transmission. You might also have a weak clutch spring. Consult the repair instruction book.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 06:57 am:

You can also take it back to the Ford dealer for adjustment. Ha ha. You just have to find the mechanic in the back of the shop that has been there for 125 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 01:14 pm:

Thanks Steve and Jeff. I now have the Reverse Pedal Extension in BRASS as well as the aluminum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 01:17 pm:

The pedal alignments will be easy to use if your cams and springs are in good shape. A lot of them out there are worn out...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 10:51 pm:

Tom,

Do you make all the pedal extensions for the T vendors?

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 08:30 am:

Willis, what Neil said above, about adjusting the
three fingers should correct your issue. Unless of course the clutch spring is broken, or severely weak. Had that on my '12 touring I bought this past spring, the adjustment took care of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 12:03 pm:

The clutch certainly could need adjustment, as Steve says, but if you're running an original STYLE clutch that uses thin plates, it's also possible that your brake drum lugs are worn and the plates are hanging up in the grooves they have formed in them. This will cause the trouble you have described.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration