OT - Vintage SPAM

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT - Vintage SPAM
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 01:13 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 01:21 pm:

I think I'm one of the few people that actually likes Spam. Of course, if you just mentioned the name to my WWII vet father, he turned green.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 01:22 pm:

What? Was that woman cooking while her Husband slept? I want a girl just like the girl......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 01:37 pm:

My Grandfather regularly had eggs and ham over spinach for breakfast...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 01:48 pm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 01:53 pm:

UM SPAM!:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Humphrey on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 03:28 pm:

SPAM good....I use to go to work with my dad when I was very young, and some times for lunch he would go to the store and get a can of spam, a chunk of cheese and a handful of crackers. Cut the spam and cheese with his pocket knife put it on a cracker, and that was lunch. I was raised on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 03:34 pm:

Love Spam but my wife won't let me eat it. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 03:36 pm:

SPAM! The mystery meat. Spam and MMO, mmm mmm!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 03:45 pm:

I like Spam! On crackers, on toast, bread and cheese, just a smidgen of mustard, even just a slice by itself. Been a long time since I fried it (too lazy to want to clean the pan). But I think I need to do that again also.

That other kind of spam? Those people are among the worst bottom feeders of sub-humanity.

I also wish that whoever made a decision about what to call a specific devious behavior would have been respectful enough to have found a word or name that was NOT actively used by others in a legitimate way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 07:51 pm:

Wayne, junk sales emails were named Spam in reference to the Monty Python skit.

As for the canned ham by the same name, Iíve never had it but want to give it a shot some night. Does anyone have any killer Spam recipes that I can dupe my wife into eating without her knowing what I started with?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 08:50 pm:

My wife and I were at the grocery store this afternoon. Having read this thread, when I saw SPAM on the shelf I couldn't resist and bought a can. She looked at me funny and said, "What's that all about?" I just smiled. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 08:53 pm:

Henry, I expect a report tomorrow morning after you have had your spam for breakfast...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 10:14 pm:

Yea,I will be getting some Spam in the morning for supper tomorrow night as I want some now.IS this thread a subliminal advertisement for Spam? :-)

Am I hearing, "spam,you want spam,you must have fried spam!"

Wayne Sheldon,a trick I learned a while back,Red Copper frying pan. Fry away and rinse!CLEAN! Makes man cooking easy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 01:27 am:

Mmmmm. Fried Spam on bread or toast the next day in the lunch... Mmmm. A little mustard? Mmmm.
I always put those salty slices of fried Spam on/in paper towels to cut the grease.
Mark, that is EXACTLY what my brain thought and it'd been just a few months since I saw the Python bit. :-)
Figure this one out: Almost related.
F U N E M? S V F M.
F U N E X? S V F X.
OK, M & X. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 09:58 am:

Good one, Dewey! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 10:03 am:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Erfert on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 10:16 am:

Go to the Spam museum in Minn. and you will leave with a whole new respect for Spam.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 10:24 am:

Tim,
My review:

SPAM was first introduce by Hormel on July 5, 1937. 81 years later not much has changed. Although the aroma while cooking and the flavor are pleasant, the atmosphere it creates leaves one longing for a campfire and the woods. The texture can be a little grainy, but is easily adapted to. As with so many gourmet foods, presentation is everything. Cold spam a al carte can be boring, but when heated and served with eggs, hash brown potatoes, toast and coffee the overall experience is pleasing. Of course the cost is very manageable and availability is abundant

For more information I suggest you try it yourself. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni Fredericksburg, VA on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 10:30 am:

If you like SPAM just got to HI they have all kinds of it and give it as a wedding gift. When I was stationed there you could get SPAM and Eggs at McDonald's. You can also find Spam Musubi at most convenience stores. That's SPAM on rice wrapped in seaweed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 10:30 am:

I usually cut it into cubes and mix it with Rice a Roni, the grandkids love it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 10:37 am:

I liked spam too, I also liked whiskey, but I know better than to swallow that crap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 11:37 am:

For those who may not know: Spam was an acronym for "Specially Processed American Meat."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 11:41 am:

Interesting. I have always believed it was a contraction of spiced ham, SPAM.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 01:35 pm:

I always thought it was "Spare Parts As Meat"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 01:53 pm:

"Luncheon Meat Turns 75"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 08:21 pm:

Spam and Hamburger Helper were the saviors of a single father, and my kids still hate me for it, besides the fact that I actually like Spam. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 09:33 pm:

Gool Gee! Give me 3 or 4 slices of Spam and 3 slices of white onion on toasted Rye Bread and I am in spam heaven for a quick lunch and then I will finish of the spam loaf later in the day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 09:37 pm:

I forgot something!!!!!!!!!!!! Home cured ham, home cured bacon--, pig ham hocks,-- avery small amount of head cheese. Then if possible some
freshly made cane sorghum1111111111111111111

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 10:51 pm:

I just got back from the grocery store. A can of Spam was included to replace the one from the shelf we used about a week ago!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 11:49 pm:

As far as recipes go my wife makes two different ones. Hawaiian fried rice I believe it has as ingredients Spam, scallions, eggs, onions, bacon, soy sauce and of course rice delicious. German pizza, slices of potato, onions, egg, cheddar cheese and the star of the show Spam all layered in a electric skillet served up with some canned corn. Reheats in the microwave very well. My dad was a Navy man and hated Spam but when my wife would make the pizza and he was around he said it could just about change his mind. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 07:20 am:

Funny how everyone has turn this thread positive when it's original intention was otherwise. Tim is probably fuming.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 09:09 am:

And you can't stand it that this thread has legs. We all know you're the one who is fuming. I've managed to put a positive spin on all the negativity that surrounds folks trying to make buck. Despite this you are trying to inflict you're negativity on this post too...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 09:35 am:

I have always loved fried SPAM with eggs or just in a sandwich. My wife absolutely hates it. So I buy it when she's on a trip. Strangely she likes scrapple ... well we both do, having grown up in Southeastern Pennsylvania. My background is Pennsylvania Dutch ... we eat all the bits of animals.

I travel internationally in my work and when I arrive I always ask for what the locals grandparents eat. That way I get to try all sorts of things. I'm never afraid of food. They eat it ... The modern American is pretty far removed from their food source these days. In the old days our great grand parents ate all sorts of things most would never think of eating today.

And yes, my father was in the army in Europe during the war and complained about SPAM, SOS and orange marmalade ... but for some reason he ate all three when we went camping. Go figure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 12:28 pm:

?????? Tim?

You've lost it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 01:00 pm:

"...folks trying to make [a] buck."

Heck, Tim, you never made it clear that you were just trying to promote robust capitalism. If you post your home address and telephone number in this thread, I'll bet everyone here can ensure that you're contacted by lots and lots and lots of "folks trying to make a buck." :-)

Oh, and just BTW, it's "your negativity," not "you're negativity."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 01:21 pm:

Mark,

I like spam but love me some scrapple.
RAPA is the best.
My grandfather knew Ralph and Paul in Delaware.
Good stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 02:36 pm:

- Oh, and just BTW, it's "your negativity," not "you're negativity." -

**** SPAM ****

You love it too...

...feel free to point out any spelling/grammar errors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis R on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 03:25 pm:

I knew I shouldn't have read this thread! Oh well, I guess I'll pick up and continue my diet after this weekend. Going to get some SPAM on the way home.

It's got to be SPAM, wonderful SPAM...

Dang it! I'm HUNGRY!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 04:58 pm:

Exactly what is scrapple? I've seen it on the menu in PA, but my friend who lives there cautioned me about trying it and refused to tell me what was in it. I can't believe it could be much worse than potted meat, but .......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 05:44 pm:

Me too. What is scrapple???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 05:59 pm:

I am guessing every time someone posts a picture of Spam on the forum national sales must sky rocket by the number of folks who say they went out to buy it and like to eat it and that's not counting all the folks who don't admit that when they saw it on the forum they went out to buy some. So I guess I'll buy some stock in the company and then post a few pictures of Spam so their stock goes up and I profit. :-) I haven't had Spam in a long time but now I am even thing of getting some! But not until I buy that stock! :-):-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 06:42 pm:

Denny, it's a world wide phenomenonÖ

There are some that lead us to believe that SPAM is bad and instruct us not to make comments but it turns out that they love it too and keep bumping it to the top!

(Typos, misspelled words and grammatical errors are free, enjoy...)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 07:21 pm:

"(Typos, misspelled words and grammatical errors are free, enjoy...)"

Gee, if you had to pay for them, would you still make as many? :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 07:22 pm:

Hal and Marty,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrapple

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 09:25 pm:

Scrapple is essentially parts of the pig that are too small to slice and display/sell. It is mixed with finely ground corn meal and spices. The same as most pork sausages except not in a casing ... pressed into a loaf pan and refrigerated. Once hardened by the cold it is removed from the loaf pan and sliced into thin slabs (as you would with spam) and pan fried, crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside.

Every person Iíve met who said itís horrible have never tried it. But if you fonít like sausages ... itís not your food.

On a side note, haggis is another one of these things that has a bad reputation by people who have never tried it. Barley and lamb ground up cooked in a stomach (tripe) . If you are Italian you already know about tripe.

I was married into a farm family once who thought going to a Chinese or Italian restaurant was exotic. I moved on and now enjoy so many great foods around the world. My best friend at the museum also travels ... but only eats at McDonalds. What a shame

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 09:43 pm:

My wife grand dad had a slaughter house and sold meat. The only thing they didnt use from a hog was the squeel!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 09:52 pm:

At the annual Burns Night of the Scottish St. Andrew Society of Greater St. Louis, the haggis is made a few days before by a group of women from the Society who are known as the Sisters of the Haggis. They gather at someone's house and spend the day making it.

This was in 2011. The late Bill Nicoll reciting Robert Burns' "Address to the Haggis."

There are many versions on Youtube. This is one of them. I am a regular participant every January in our Burns Night here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8l2m3_2Xjg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Saturday, August 11, 2018 - 10:23 am:

Thanks Dick and Mark. That doesn't sound bad at all. I think I will try it next time I'm up there.

As for spam, I can eat it, but haven't in a long time. Mama used to bake it when I was growing up, and also fry slices of it for sandwiches. It's 'alright', but not anything I would ever crave.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, August 11, 2018 - 11:03 am:

My Grandmother used to make corn meal mush. It was cooled, as mentioned re: scrapple above. Then she sliced and fried it in butter for breakfast. She made some "plain" and some with pork sausage added. The part with the sausage she called "scrapple." Both were yummy!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration