Need some creative help

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Need some creative help
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 03:12 pm:

I am starting a new body of photographic art work based on the technical elements of the model T being visual and technical metaphors for the human body. For example: the sheet metal as skin, (like the curves of the body around the turtle deck) the carburetor like the heart in size shape and function, wiring like the nervous system, rust a form of cancer, broken parts as, well ... broken parts etc. I have saved many parts from the ‘23 runabout rebuild and my last T for this.

Any other similarities that you can contribute can be helpful. These will be 16x20” prints from wet collodion glass negatives and will be not so much like a catalog of car parts but taken very close in many cases. Tools and my garage space will be included. The exhibition will first open near Tel Aviv, Israel in April 2019 and there will be a book published. I start shooting in two weeks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 03:18 pm:

(Message edited by Antique_iron on August 08, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 03:27 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 03:28 pm:

I always think of the carburetor as being more like the lungs, where the blood (fuel) is oxygenated. The timer and coils are more like the heart.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 03:33 pm:

I like the glow from their eyes at night.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 03:36 pm:

I think of rust being more like grey hair than cancer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 03:39 pm:

Sagging frame is much like a aging back bone. Dents are like wrinkles in the skin. The old top material much like a tattered hat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 03:55 pm:

The magneto ignition system is pretty old. Maybe compare it to a pacemaker ?

Horn = mouth ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 03:55 pm:

I will be addressing gas, grease and oil ... also the oil leaks on the pavement in front of my garage. Mystery oil might be there as a “tonic.” Remember I sold snake oil from a model T for many years. :-)

The carburetor is particularly interesting to me visually. Yes, mixing of gas with air is so much like oxygen and blood. So lungs and heart work for me. The manifolds also smack of body parts.

I’ll be shooting elements of the original seats and stuffing/springs as well. None of these are literal ... it’s more about the mass of different elements that make up the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 06:14 pm:

Come on guys ... there must be more creative people out there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 06:30 pm:

Mark

That's got to be a fun project, and as a T owner, and you should have the artist insight to do well!

This work by an artist that knew the myth of Henry using meat-packing plant as idea for the assembly line....sorta cute I think....hogs on the overhead chain rail becoming Model T's :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert L. Rogers on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 06:32 pm:

Leaking radiator would be "sweat"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 07:31 pm:

I have a split universal joint which might fit the bill for a knee joint.

Allan from own under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 07:35 pm:

The curve of the 1/4 panel on 21 vintage coupe, derriere of a lady. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel Indiana Truck Logansport In on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 11:28 pm:

Wheels= feet
Tires= shoes

To me the headlights are like eyes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 07:42 am:

Engine = Muscles

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 08:06 am:

Yes .. connecting rods remind me of muscles

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carey on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 09:18 am:

Arms and legs as connecting rods to get things moving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 04:46 pm:

And the exhaust pipe?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 04:48 pm:

That's exactly what I was wondering Neil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 05:35 pm:

Gas tank is the stomach ? Then the gas line and carburetor are the small intestine, combustion chamber and exhaust manifold are the large intestine, the exhaust pipe is the colon, and the muffler is the . . .

Let's talk about brains, shall we ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Juhl on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 09:10 pm:

Brains? Coil Box? All the wires start there.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration