Model T Era School

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Model T Era School
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 03:16 pm:

Wonder how much education folks got from here...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 03:24 pm:

I'm sure standards varied back then much as they do today. I had to mature considerably before I came to realize my grandfather's eighth grade education which he completed in 1905 was in many ways at a higher level than the education I had received when I graduated from high school 61 years later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 03:27 pm:

I bet they got the 3 R's which is the basis for higher learning. I bet they were not taught entitlement as they are today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 04:11 pm:

They also learned discipline and respect in stead of diversity!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 04:15 pm:

Where's the outhouse?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 04:50 pm:

Oak Grove boys, 1921. They got the basics, but more was considered basic than today. The ones who went all the way likely got a solid education, but many never finished high school.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 05:07 pm:

"I bet they were not taught entitlement as they are today."

I think that comes from their parents and society not so much the schools. There is no state test for entitlement as far as I know, so it must not be in the curriculum. LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 06:51 pm:

Looks like even the teacher wears bibs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 07:01 pm:

The outhouse must be out back, behind the school. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 07:21 pm:

A while back at an elderly neighbor's funeral, during the eulogy the speaker mentioned that the deceased was the salutatorian of his high school class.

Then the speaker followed up by stating of course there were only two students in that year's class……..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 11:34 pm:

The English Grammar I received in 1981 from my 7th grade teacher Ms. Roiz was easily more difficult and comprehensive that the English I took in college.

It was her last year of teaching, having started in 1931. She taught my mom and dad, and one of my great uncles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 12:39 am:

George, they're all students. The teacher (my aunt Mary Parker) took the picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 12:03 pm:

Doesn't look like a snowflake in the bunch. Each one of them no doubt already knew how to put in a full day's work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 12:39 pm:

I wonder why there is chicken wire over the window's?? I'll bet there were a lot of fight's! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 01:32 pm:

I think the wire on the windows is for hail protection.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 01:55 pm:

Its to keep the chickens out on those warm days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 01:56 pm:

That wire would keep the mosquitos out in northern Michigan!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 01:59 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 02:19 pm:

The Leipold school was operating from about 1909 to the early 30s. It was a public school on my grandfathers land near Jacobson MN. In the 1970s several persons mentioned it to me than had been students at that school.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis. Tomball Texas on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 04:40 pm:

Reading writing and arithmetic taught to the tune of a hickory stick. Interesting to look at the boys and
look for traits of how their future lives might have played out.and on which side of the law they played it. Like to see the brass car & school picture in period black and white.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 04:58 pm:

Here you go, Jim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By creston on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 05:17 pm:

I hope they were taught to tell the truth, and not bully everyone they deal with, respect the constitution of the USA and respect prisoners of war veterans. Not cheat on their wives and trust the FBI and DJ.

LOL,"I bet they were not taught entitlement as they are today."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 06:39 pm:

My kids went to a one-room school when we lived in a remote area of California during the 1970's. The older kids would help teach the younger kids which worked out for the better of both. A couple of the older girls would walk a trail 8 miles to get to school. They would often stay with friends during the week so they didn't have to walk 16 miles each day. There was no road to their house. The house later burned down during a forest fire. I thought my kids were getting a good education which included lots of teaching about nature through hikes in the woods which is something kids in a large institutional school don't get. We were only there for a couple of years before moving back to "civilization".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 09:51 pm:

Neil has observed a great truth. One of the most effective ways of learning something is having to teach it to somebody else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By watson worker on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 10:19 pm:

Steve, so what is the youth learning from the leaders of this country?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis. Tomball Texas on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 02:21 am:

Steve. Thanks for the Black and white photo remake I think the Brass T and old school looks better in B&W. now if You could air brush out the newer houses in the photo it would really look neat. Thanks again Jim

Watson My answer to Your burning question is Do We really want to Know ? Hopefully Kids Today are so busy with sports, playing video games and texting each other. they are simi oblivious to current events and don't watch the news We can only hope. The current State of the Union like GAS will pass as it has for over 200 years. Edited by JD

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By watson worker on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 08:58 pm:

Jim, If youth get interested in politics a lot of things can be changed in our society. It is very important for our society that educated young minds should get involved and interested in politics.

Kids spend to much time playing video games and texting each other.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 10:51 pm:

In my community, around 1912, it was common for the older boys in school to go outside and shoot at coyotes and snakes. Several of the boys were big and known for meanness. Once they tied up the school teacher and and suspended her over the well. When she complained to the school board (owners of 3 large ranches out here), they fired her for not being able to control her class and one of the wives finished out the school year as the ad-hoc teacher.

We are very fortunate to have had a book written about our little community years ago, and published by someone who lives here who interviewed elderly members of the community who were kids at the time, as well as collecting and publishing many period accounts of the goings on here at the time. There is still an old fellow who was the son of a homesteader who showed a neighbor where "a little girl" was buried on his property. He attended her funeral when he was 4. He and the new owner of the property finally found the grave and it is now protected from cattle and properly marked again.

Chief Joseph escaped the cavalry, through our canyon after several battles in the area. A new neighbor who is building on land previously viewed as less desireable is now finding period rifle casings in various parts of his property using a metal detector. Not coincidentally he lives on a road named after the Indian guide hired by the cavalry, who was killed in one of the battles.

Lots of interesting and often times sad history out here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 10:57 pm:

I was fortunate enough to attend this beautiful school in the late 60's before it was eventually turned into condos in the early 80's. Luckily it was deemed a historic landmark, and still stands today. I can still remember the wonderful squeaky old wooden floors all these years later. :-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oak_Square_School

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 10:58 pm:

At least in Bullitt County, KY, it's students were no slouches.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 11:03 pm:

"...often times sad history out here."
Visiting Bodie and other old western frontier towns a striking thing I noticed in the graveyards is how many of the markers are for toddlers and babies. The old days were rough on kids.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Saturday, August 11, 2018 - 04:39 pm:

The spelling test would have been more rigorous if the word 'kalsomining' had been included.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, August 11, 2018 - 05:32 pm:

Most college graduates today would have a tough time with that eighth grade test. Some of it is easy, but some parts would send me to Google. It took me awhile to think of the second president who died, but I got it eventually.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, August 11, 2018 - 07:55 pm:

I believe I could do quite well on that eighth grade test,.....if I had at least one full day to complete it, if I could utilize Google, and if a 50% grade constituted a passing grade!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, August 11, 2018 - 08:04 pm:

I believe I could do quite well on that eighth grade test,.....if I had at least one full day to complete it, if I could utilize Google, and if a 50% grade constituted a passing grade!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, August 11, 2018 - 08:05 pm:

........but I can't post on this forum without screwing it up! (:^)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Saturday, August 11, 2018 - 08:31 pm:

James, your post is an example to me how this forum educates. I would have spelled kalsomining "calcimining" - turns out (according to the internet oracle) both are correct !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, August 12, 2018 - 11:26 pm:

There are still quite a few of those kind of schools right here in California, and still being used too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, August 15, 2018 - 03:00 pm:

Steve, now if you could do like NASA does in the pics with stuff in them that they don't want us to see and take out the motorhome in the background.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration