MY HOOD DOES NOT FIT

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: MY HOOD DOES NOT FIT
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 09:12 pm:

1923 Touring Low hood:
After doing all of the wood using the Miller plans I purchased from Leon Parker I am having trouble with my hood fitting. I need some measurements and some divine guidance. The radiator and radiator shroud are in place (temp), the radiator support is in place. Now I have a couple of questions: #1. should the radiator support rod be level with the world as is the frame. It seems like it is low at the dash (rear) but I need a dimension so I can verify if the dash is too low. Question #2. How high should the dash be in relation to the frame. The rear corners of the hood are about 1+ inches away from the dash/firewall, indicating that the dash firewall my be low.
Thank you everyone.
Paul in Tacoma(it is hot here)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin, Kannapolis, NC on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 10:46 pm:

Photos would help us see what you got before offering advice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 01:01 am:

Assuming steel firewall, that should set the height of the hood at the end opposite the radiator. Yes, pics would help. Also, what do your firewall to frame brackets look like?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 02:49 am:

Paul, on our Canadian sourced cars the top of the firewall is flush with the cowl panel. That leaves the rolled edge of the hood sitting proud. If that works for you, the problem lies elsewhere.

The steady rod affects the hood fit only in that it governs the distance between the firewall and the radiator. Even if the angle is a bit off, it doesn't matter.

I presume your 1" measurement means the bottom rear corner of the side panel is forward by that amount. This indicates that the side hinge line is off, too high at the front. Often the curve at the shell does not closely follow the shell. Making this curve fit closer will lower the front end of the hinge line, thus closing the gap at the back somewhat.

Often overlooked is a small curve in the front edge of the top panels just a couple of inches out from the radiator filler neck. If that curve is not there, when the hood is closed, the centre hinge rod is raised somewhat out of its receiver. That in turn lifts the side hinge rod, again making the side panel higher at the front and the gap at the rear wider.

You mention that the radiator is fitted temporarily. It needs to be fitted properly in its final position if you are going to get a proper hood fit.

None of this will fix the problem if you have a sagging frame.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Art McTevia on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 11:45 am:

Maybe you have a high 24 radiator

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 12:50 pm:

Paul

As others have said... make sure your radiator and firewall and hood are all for the same match design...low with low, etc

If they are matched, then the radiator is sitting too high on the thimbles and that the thimble assembly is assembled in the proper order. OR the firewall is sitting to low (like, your frame sags)

As to the radiator support rod? Level doesnít matter. This is a low kit.

This is a low hood...13 n some change on the firewall end

Some would tell you the following may be too tight and too precise a fit for a hood...but Iím OC and with enough tinker a low can be set like this and work well. The front gap/fit is the same

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration